Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:26 PM   #11

Mark,

You have opened up an invite to the whole board it seems.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:13 PM   #12

It's always fun to meet another photographer you've come to know through the forum. I went to the poppy reserve last saturday and so did another member from this forum. It would have been fun to say hi but we did not know each other were there.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:32 PM   #13

How was it? I drove by 2 weeks ago and would have stopped but for the huge crowds and parking problems. It looked pretty spectacular! I wondered, though, how it managed with the rain (and higher elevation snow) last week - it was a bit hard on some of the flowers around the Gorman Hills (not that far from the poppy reserve). There's still lots of flowers higher up on the hills and poppies in some locations along the freeway, but it's not as spectacular as it was a week ago.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:41 AM   #14

I was not very impressed, it was my first time there and from some of the pictures I've seen from there I was expecting carpets of flowers. Some areas inside the reserve that were OK but I just expected more flowers. I went to down 130st to Ave F and circled the whole reserve. There was only a few people when I was there but I got there at 9:00 AM. I did see some flowers up higher. I took the I-5 north to 138 so I was near Gorman.
I was fortunate to get to Anza Boreggo and Kernville just as they were peaking this spring and they were more impressive to me. Maybe the rain and cold weather from last week effected the poppies.
I'll post some photo's from last saturday.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:50 AM   #15

I'd like to see your pictures (always love wildflower pictures, even though having taken thousands myself, I never tire of them). 9 am is early for poppies - they close up at night and often don't open up until mid-day. But even still, it sounds like last week's rain did a number on them - there were blankets on the hillsides a couple of weeks ago. Maybe next weekend I'll drive up Lieber Mountain and see how it's going higher up. I drove part-way up the mountain a couple of weeks ago and the lower elevations were really nice, though not as spectacular as some previous years. Maybe the National Forest Service will have re-graded the road by now - it was pretty rough in a couple of places (in its state then I would not recommend it for low passenger cars and one spot needed some care choosing a line).
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:28 PM   #16

I posted a picture taken two week ago in the Bi-weekly shoot out under Magic Hour. The location is Ave I and 110th St just outside of the Poppy reserve. You have to go to the other forum as I don't know how to link the picture.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:00 PM   #17

Calicajun - that photograph is beautiful! That's how I remember it a couple of weeks ago, just didn't know how they were doing after last week's storm. Maybe I'll drop down to the preserve Sunday, while we're driving from the 14 to the 5 on the 138.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:24 AM   #18

mtngal, The Poppies are still looking really good, it will be worth the drive. Just remember to bring your camera.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:40 AM   #19

I almost always have a camera with me, and often a camera bag full of lenses, too. If nothing else I can photograph the millions of people that turn out to admire the poppies - sometimes I'm amazed that they last as long as they do.

Don't know what Gorman will look like - it was snowing this morning.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:08 PM   #20

I was pretty sure you always carried your camera with you at all times. We never seem to go anywhere without our cameras and sometimes even use them while out.