I display my photos on PC and print them 17 56.67%
I display my photos on TV and print them 1 3.33%
I display my photos on PC, TV and print them 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:05 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default How do you view/display/present your photos

PLEASE READ ALL THE POST BEFORE VOTING SO WE GET ACCURATE DATA

In reply to an interesting point raised in the thread http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...-what-buy.html I've decided to put together a poll to get an idea of how people view/display/present their photos.

One of our members raised the issue of displaying on a 16:9 TV so having 16:9 format can be of use so that it is border less when presented. It's something I hadn't considered as I don't display photos this way.

As some of you know I don't like polls as it is possible to miss out options but I've tried to cover as many as possible to get some good data. I was going to assume that we all view them on PCs at some point but decided that this might not be the case (even though we are all using them to access Steve's).

When I say display on PC that includes web sharing with others, but I'm talking about the photos you take as all of us see photos on the wed it would negate some of the points.

Last point of clarification to make the data most helpful is to only select the most regular use. I think most of us will have printed at some point, or put the camera through the TV for a play, but if it isn't a key method then don't select it otherwise we will all have PC, TV and print.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.

Last edited by Mark1616; Apr 14, 2010 at 5:09 AM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:11 AM   #2
Administrator

I voted... But, my current technique may be short lived (display my photos on PC and Print them), as I'll probably add TV to the list before long.

One thing I still haven't gotten around to doing yet is installing a PVR (Personal Video Recorder). I've already bought the hardware needed for it. Basically, I'm going to use an old PC with a Tuner Card in it (dual tuners with both Analog and Digital inputs) and install MythTV. I'll set it up by our primary TV with it's video card output feeding the TV, an input to it's tuner card from my Cable System, and a connection to my router for internet access. I also bought a remote control to use with it.

You can see more about it here. It's free:

http://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythtv

Here's an older promo video showing many of it's screens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxeY14L3O_I

I plan on using one of the Linux distributions that already has it installed and tuned with most plugins and drivers (tuner cards, etc.) already preinstalled.

Mythbuntu is one example. I'll probably go with the latest beta (and there are number of themes to choose from to customize it to taste):

http://www.mythbuntu.org/10.04/beta2

The idea is so that I can store all content (music, videos, photos) in a single place (the PC I'll have setup with as a backend for MythTV). It even has a Gallery Plugin for still photos (as well as feeds for news, weather and more from the internet).

That way, any PC on the network can access and play that content (it acts as a "back end" server for it), and I can also use a remote control with it while watching my TV (as I'll also have the front end software on the same PC and already bought an MCE compatible remote for it).

It has both back end and front end software (the user interface for displaying content) and I use Linux most of the time on the PCs in my home anyway (the front end software is Linux based, although there are a couple of Windows based players that can interface to the Linux MythTV backend now, too).

My wife is always wanting to see my latest photos, show them to friends, etc., and that way (if I store all of them on a MythTV backend server), she can see them from her laptop, or watch them as a slide show on the TV). That would also allow me to do the same thing with video, music, etc. (record TV shows and music we're interested in and play them as desired from any PC connected to the home network, or on the TV itself).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:14 AM   #3

I approached this as "How do you view/display/present your photos TO OTHERS"

I always look at my own photos on a PC, not just during post-processing, but as a review of past successes and mistakes (more mistakes than successes, I'm afraid.) But I also upload my photos to photo sharing sites as well as discussion groups like this one, not to mention the Albums and Social Groups that are part of this site. This allows friends and family to have access to them, and even allows acquaintances and strangers to see and comment on my photos. But I also print them out for display in my own home and as gifts for others. I confess that I also carry some around in my attaché case as I visit client sites as part of my IT Consulting business. And lastly, I display them on televisions, not only by connecting my camera directly to the television (something I rarely do) but by storing them on CDs or DVDs so they can be displayed via a DVD player (something I do a lot.)

Last edited by TCav; Apr 14, 2010 at 6:19 AM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:33 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Yeah, I was thinking more of the sharing with the family and friends so the usual presentation media.

I've just realised that actually I give each couple at a wedding a DVD slide show so that is something I didn't consider.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:37 AM   #5
Administrator

I don't upload much to albums anymore, unless I'm taking photos at family gatherings, parties, etc. Then, I'll send some keepers to Walgreens (my local pharmacy), and have some prints made. I'll also send a link to the album there to anyone else that wants them so that they can order prints themselves (and they can view the uploaded photos, select print sizes, crops desired, etc.), as well as view slide shows of them online.

Because they have so many locations, they makes it easy for others to order the prints they want online at http://www.walgreens.com and pick them up at their local Walgreens pharmacy (usually within an hour of ordering them), without the need to wait for them to come in the mail. Walgreens also sells CDs with them on it (so that I'm not trying to burn multiple copies and mail them to others). Basically, when ordering prints, you just select a store location you want to print the order, and you can pick them up there (regardless of the location of the person that uploaded them). Or, you can have the order mailed to you instead.

They happen to have a location exiting my subdivision. So, I don't print many photos myself anymore (as it's just too convenient to let them print them instead). Print quality is really pretty good with the location near me. But, of course, the skill of the staff and how well the equipment is maintained also comes in the equation. So, YMMV, depending on the location that's printing them for you.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:51 AM   #6

I voted on my PC. I think we should add an option for "I only ever display my photos on my camera's LCD screen"

I know several folks who just leave them on their camera and share them that way.

This is an interesting poll Mark, which hopefully will give us some good data on what the average consumer is doing with their photos.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I have plugged my card into the slot on my TV before, but I thik it was only once to try it out.

I view everything and share everything on PC, and I print out the shots that I wish to give to people or present in my home.

to add another category, i also keep a few of my favorite shots on my iPhone in case someone asks me for samples of my photography if i am out and about. its also a good way to share with friends and family.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
to add another category, i also keep a few of my favorite shots on my iPhone in case someone asks me for samples of my photography if i am out and about. its also a good way to share with friends and family.
Good point. I do that too, though not with an iPhone.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:01 AM   #9
Administrator

Actually, Infotrends has been doing large surveys for years on this topic. For example, in 2004, they found that less than half of digital camera owners printed their images. See this press release about it:

http://www.infotrends.com/public/Con...6.23.2004.html

But, the surveys are sometimes a bit contradictory, and they don't always publish much about them in the press releases (as they sell the reports and don't want to give too much away about them).

You'll find lots of similar reports there if you search their press releases and available studies. Some of them are even specific to user types. For example, here is one about the printing habits of Moms with children under 12. You can get a copy of it for the bargain price of only $3500. ;-)

http://store.infotrendsresearch.com/...htm&click=2231
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
I voted on my PC. I think we should add an option for "I only ever display my photos on my camera's LCD screen"
And just to make things more complicated, some fiends of mine only ever display their photos on the camera's display and on their TV.