Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Website Review

Hi guys,

Just finished having this website put together:

http://matthewhalstead.com/index.php

I'd appreciate your feedback, in particular the galleries which use tiltviewer.

Many thanks,
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not much on "Bells, Whistles and Buzzers" using Flash in photo galleries, as that kind of thing is very distracting from the actual photos (at least to me). IOW, I find myself paying more attention to the effects versus the images (and that tilt viewer almost makes me dizzy trying to view photos there). ;-)

Page load time for the main page was quite slow for me (long delay). Ditto when clicking on the Portfolio choices to get to that section. But, after the photos displayed, performance was good.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

After exiting the site and going back to it again, page load times were much faster (so, it's probably being cached somewhere and that's helping out).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Administrator

Of course, you'll have to decide if your target audience likes that kind of thing (Flash based gallery with that tilt viewer you're using), as some users may really like it. But, you may want to consider that some users may not have Flash installed, too (look at the new iPad for one example of a platform that doesn't have Flash support). So, you may want to consider a version of the site using HTML, too (giving users a choice of Flash or HTML when they go to the main page).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:16 PM   #5

Liked the site and being able to flip the picture over to see the title and comments is really nice. Didn't care for being able to rotate the pictures around, viewer should move their head not the picture.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:52 PM   #6

. No delays on my net connection.
. Rotation of images is kind of fun but not really necessary and at the end is confusing and annoying.
. The full screen option works great -it's the best- and i can scroll the picks using arrow keys which is a nice detail.
. My main critique is that the web site is short, very short, of graphic design properly. Typographies, fonts and icon sizes, etc. Nothing to worry about and easily workable.

Last edited by Ordo; Apr 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote