Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Default 24P mess.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about frame rates, progressive scan, editing progressive material, possible loss of quality, ect ect....

The main problem is this: I'm shooting a film with a very tight budget, and while I'm looking to use a consumer camcorder (800$ range), I've had extreme trouble with dealing with information about everything listed above. It seems all the info out there is extremely complex. My main goal is to shoot in a format that is extremely professional, optimal for movie purposes (like a DVD you'd rent from Blockbuster, one that holds a movie that's compatable with all televisions) but what exact format would you need to film that movie in?

Personally, I gather that the best thing to do is record the film in Native 1080 24 P, because 1080 is even the resolution some of the Star Wars films were filmed in, and using progressive because it seems interlaced can cause problems, (although I'm not sure I've ever had solid proof that it's any worse). But even when I find cameras that can do this, the things I read seem to suggest that for 24P to play on tv's, put on dvd, or to be edited, that it has to have pulldowns and all sorts of mess that pretty much makes it right back to 60i. It just seems so complex.

I mean, idk, I'm not the type of person who'd obsess over something like this unless entirely required (if I were doing youtube videos, or family memories, I would just record with a standard definition 480i camera! =P)

So idk, if anyone here's really experienced in professional recordings for cinema films or professional dvd's, it'd really be a great help to let me know wether I truly do have to take the plunge and go with native progressive stuff all the way, or if things sort of 'below' this are perfectly acceptable. I just need all the advice I can get, and I don't want to film my movie in anything that could comprimise the artistic and clear quality, but I have no interest in doing an overkill just for ego purposes, or dabbing in things I don't truly need. I just need some advice on this =[!
CSmitty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:17 PM   #2

All I can tell you is that the TV frame rate, being 30fps (North America, anyway), would mean you would have to convert your video from 24fps. Shouldn't be a big problem, if you have the time, but my guess is that it would take a good bit of it if you are doing more than a pretty short film. (assuming you have the software and a computer capable)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:35 PM   #3

Oh nah, it's a hour and a half movie that I plan on making all on my own budget, then when it's completely done, I want to pitch it to Lionsgate or another 'up there' company that specializes in underground horror films, for distribution.

With that, it's really important that the company feels comfortable that I've done my homework and have recorded everything on a format that gives the best quality, especially for theater screens, if there's a chance that'd ever happen. I've read that after the Vixia Hf S100 records in 30 progressive, then converts that to interlaced, that the end result is generally the same and as good as anything. Is this true?

So you think my best bet is recording in 30P? I think the Sanyo cams do native 60 (actually frames and not feilds), that would be pretty easy to down convert it seems (just throwing in some sort of pulldown that deletes every other frame). Even if it was 30i, it seems it would cut out alot of the complex pulldown situations that come with 24p/i.

Last edited by CSmitty123; Apr 16, 2010 at 8:05 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:10 PM   #4

If you plan to try and have it distributed to theaters, I would say the best thing to do would be record in best quality available, and use transcoding software to convert after saving the original.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:42 AM   #5

Well, I think this is a film that will definatly attract top film festivals or select theaters....not so much a country-wide release, but I think the story is good enough to be shown in select places and blown up to big proportions.

So what is the desired format for this? 24P? 30P? Native, progressive, or almost-progressive? Do any consumer camcorders truly do what is required for such a big screen (they seem to have the resolution thing down pat, but data rates and jazz seems to effect as well)? Like I said, I'd really like to keep the camera hand-held for ease and comfort, as well as using this money on a camera I can use for other purposes too, but I truly need a camera that can produce an image that looks professional, or at least near-professional, on theater projectors (as theaters now use digital projects instead of film projectors, I think.)