Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:12 PM   #21

That's a good one, though it took me a moment to realize you didn't mean an official Adjustment Layer (which has no high-pass filter) but, rather, a copy layer. Regardless, I tried it and it worked extremely well. I think I have an action for doing this that I downloaded from somewhere, but it doesn't allow the kind of control you get in doing it all by one's little ol' self.

Thank you. I'm adding it to my repertoire immediately.

Ooh, and I just noticed you're from the place where a lot of photography has its roots. I've always meant to go to the museum there.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 4:13 AM   #22

Eric, EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! maybe I should start another thread on people's favorite links.

I lurk a lot. I still have to get some of my pics up, so you all can scrutinize. I'm just trying to practice and learn. I still have so much to learn.

THANKS!

Quote:
I've though about exporting my links and putting them on my web page. I get asked about my links on occasion.

ps. If you haven't guessed, I don't have kids. No parent would have this much time. I do get to play with my nieces, though. 2 1/2 is a fun age to go play with.
Eric that woudl be a fabulous idea.

I don't have kids or a husband. With all of my different interest I spend waaay to much time on the internet. I've been on it now for 6 hours. *sigh* I'll get a life one day
Old Dec 6, 2003, 4:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Here's an interesting technique. Try using the High Pass Filter on an adjustment layer. Try a setting of about 15. Then change the layer blending mode to overlay or soft light. In fact try all the light settings. Then you can always adjust the opacity. You won't get the halo effect from using the unsharp mask.
what is an adjustment layer?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 6:20 AM   #24

Default Re: Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
Not having time to read the info on all the links provided, I'll throw out a tip blindly. If using Photoshop, convert the image to LAB mode & then choose the non-colored version. Do all your un-sharp masking on the B&W version & then reconvert back to RGB before saving. This way it only applies sharpening to the edges & doesn't create excessive noise in the colored areas. YMMV
what is LAB mode?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 6:20 AM   #25

Default Re: Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
Not having time to read the info on all the links provided, I'll throw out a tip blindly. If using Photoshop, convert the image to LAB mode & then choose the non-colored version. Do all your un-sharp masking on the B&W version & then reconvert back to RGB before saving. This way it only applies sharpening to the edges & doesn't create excessive noise in the colored areas. YMMV
what is LAB mode?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 6:21 AM   #26

Default Re: Thanks for all the help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNDman
Great input from everyone. Really appreciate it.
yeah so do I.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 9:32 AM   #27

Well, here they all are... in their slightly organized glory:

http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/web_pos...l_cameras.html

Unfortunately, it changed it to be alphabetical... so it isn't in the order that it appears for me under favorites.

Lab mode is... ah... how to describe lab mode? I just read about it in my PS book yesterday. It is a way of representing color within the RGB color model. How about I quote the PhotoShop CS book:

Quote:
We use color models to describe the colors we see and work with. Each color model, such as RGB, CMYK, or Lab, represents a different method for describing and classifying color. Color models use numeric values to represent the visible spectrum of color. A color space is a variant of a color model and has a specific gamut (range) of colors. For example, within the RGB color model are a number of color spaces: Adobe RGB, sRGB, and Apple RGB. while each of these color spaces defines color using the same three acces (R,G, and B), their gamuts are different.

All devices operate within their own color space, the range of color they'er capable of reproducing....
(c)Copyright Adobe 2003. Page 93 of the PhotoShop CS book (came with the software.)

In the color model of RGB, a single color is described as a combination of Red, Blue, and Green. In CMYK its Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-Black. It states how you represent color. A color space defines what numbers rerepresent what colors, this is necessary because a color space does not represent every possible color in a color model. The most common two are sRGB and Adobe RGB.

So "Lab" is another way to represent colors. How it differs from CYMK and RGB, I don't know.

I hope that helped, and didn't just confuse you more. Personally, I always called RGB a "color space", but at least to Adobe it is a "color model". (And sRGB or Adobe RGB are color spaces.)

Ok, all you smart people, correct me please!!! D)

I only know enough able layers to confuse myself, so I won't touch that question. But I'm very interested in the answer!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 9:43 AM   #28

Quote:
what is LAB mode?
Quote:
what is an adjustment layer?
Honey--unless you're using a big monster like Photoshop, you'd have no way of knowing what these things are. What photo-editing program are you using?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 10:52 AM   #29

the advice is to use this method in the LAB mode and do it with the B&W. Would this be lightness or A or B. I'm guessing lightness. Thanks for everyone's help.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 11:32 AM   #30

Default Lab Rats

Lightness in Lab mode...sorry for being too lazy to look!