Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2003, 12:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Well, here they all are...
I think I just went into information overload :!: :shock:

Now I'm going to have to add a bookmark to your page of bookmarks...unless you're planning on removing it shortly. (Please wait a week or so.)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:49 PM   #32

No, I have no plan on removing them. I'll use it myself when I'm at work.

It's a pity that the order was lost, as I had put the ones I use more often near the tops of the catagories. Like the good sites for lens reviews (we get lots of those questions because of the cheaper Digital Rebel) and some of the ones in the "people" catagories and forums.

It should be said that I don't actually use all those on a regular basis. But it's so easy to store a link when I come across something interesting that I do it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 3:09 PM   #33

That's a good idea to keep it online. One of the problems I have with my own bookmarks is that, when I add them, I think I'll remember what's actually at the sites, but I don't necessarily. Maybe I'll build a single Web page of my own bookmarks that includes short descriptions. I can even add a bookmark to your bookmarks. Gee, if a lot of us did that, we could all go quietly nuts together.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 5:59 PM   #34

bcoultry, I'm thinking about doing that too. I used to have my bookmarks listed on my computer and then in my palm. That is tooo much work.

I'm using photoshop, but it is a trial that is about to run out, and the other is a limited edition.

Eric thanks for all of that info!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 6, 2003, 6:37 PM   #35

Honey, if you're feeling at all overwhelmed by Photoshop--which happens to all of us--you might consider going with Photoshop Elements. It's scaled down from regular Photoshop, but it's still got lots of power.

(It's really tough for me as a female to refer to you as Honey. )
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:04 PM   #36

USM and some other sharpening techniques :

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/11242.html

Online course on PS :

http://graphicssoft.about.com/librar.../bllps5out.htm
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 7:03 PM   #37

Finally got my act together and uploaded my collection of photography links:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/coultry/pag...oBookmarks.htm

I tried to put them in a sensible order, but there are always those sites that defy categorization. In a file drawer, we call them Miscellaneous; on a Web site, it seems more fitting to call them Other.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 3:13 AM   #38

thanks bcoultry.

[email protected] the Honey comment!!

I really should change it, it is part of a name my bf, now ex, used to call me.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:58 AM   #39

My uderstanding of LAB mode is that its is a mode in full blown Photoshop that allows you to split an image into its colour components and, most importantly in this case, into a component that shows the edges that are in the image. You can then use Unsharp Mask to sharpen the edges only and then "recombine" the colours.

Have a look at section 4 of http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/galphot...arp/sharp.html

It maybe runs a bit contrary to some of the observations in the creativepro link, but I hope this helps.

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. As I've only got Photoshop Elements I've never used it. If I'm working in RAW from my D100 I use Nikon Capture Editor.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:32 AM   #40

Hi Graham. Good of you to check out the link. Not sure whether the one click route to doing "luminosity only sharpening" is available in Elements. If there is a contradiction between the CreativePro site and the one you give (don't think there is really) I'm not going to defend the former while the author of the latter frequents this forum (just call me yella).

Luminosity sharpening, hi-pass sharpening, sharpening through an edge mask, mid-tone only sharpening, Russell Brown's technique of separating the lightening and darkening components of sharpening an edge etc etc. It's enough to make you go running to a commercial package. Did a test a few months back of commercial sharpening packages when was first made aware of Focus Fixer (Nik Sharpening Pro, Focus Magic etc etc). I rather liked the ease of use and results of FocalBlade. Since then, I see that the main author of Luminous Landscapes has reviewed PhotoKit Sharpener which is now his preferred :
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...harpener.shtml
I guess if we must insist on calling a sharpening technique "professional" (I can only guess all pros out there must be "organised and systematic"...) then I guess the latter must be getting there. I recall the article states that FocalBlade is still better, though, if you actually enjoy getting your hands dirty.

Liked yer photos.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote