Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 1, 2010, 12:30 AM   #51

And here are the canon crops
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2010, 12:30 AM   #52

Tomorrow night I will try to get to the billboard sample with no noise reduction.
Old May 1, 2010, 1:40 AM   #53

shoturtle, just a note to say "thanks" for making a comparison of two cameras work at high ISO's. You put a lot of effort into the thread, just wanted to say, "well done". It is interesting a how one camera will "shine" in one situation, like low-lighting, and another camera will shine in, let's say, a fast action scene requiring a autofocus. So, nice work... great scenery... Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 1:42 AM   #54

you are welcome Ned. Thanks for the kind words. Just trying to help out anyone thinking about moving into the low light dslr world.
Old May 1, 2010, 5:02 AM   #55

By the way, this is just an idea... I wonder if it would be even better to make smaller photos, and put them side by side, P=Pentax, C=Canon

P C
P C
P C

I think it would be easier to compare... just a thought.

Thanks
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 5:18 AM   #56

I can try that with the billboard set I am planning on adding this weekend if the weather hold up.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:18 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
So you tell me. Why are there more hot pixels and noise in the sky than on the underside of the bridge?
First, I would guess that the shutter speed of the ISO12800 shot is fast enough that the default noise reduction doesn't kick in on the Canon, but is operating on the Pentax, which would explain the major difference in the shots.
There is more noise visible in the sky because it is brighter. The base sensitivity of the sensor doesn't change - there is just more amplification applied. This is similar to 'pushing' film in the development process - it makes the grain more visible. The camera firmware then has to make a decision on where to have the black point. Since the underside of the bridge is darker, more of this area falls in the black.

Shoturtle: I don't mean to say that your camera is loaded with hot pixels, just that, at high amplification needed by ISO12800, the variations in sensitivity tend to show up a lot more.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 11:23 AM   #58

Brain,

Not offense taken, just wanted to put out the info about the sensor. It was inspected when canon worked on my camera.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Brain,

Not offense taken, just wanted to put out the info about the sensor. It was inspected when canon worked on my camera.
When you do your test shots, how about doing one with an exposure time of 30 seconds or so, so the star trails will show us where the stars are. Then we can place them on the images with the shorter exposure times.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 12:02 PM   #60

It wont help tonight, think it will be a 2 star night if that in nyc. It looks to be haze once again as it is warm here. The first set, the night was a really clear night unlike yesterday. The moon was vibrantly clear, last night the moon had a yellow haze around it and it was full.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM. Reason: night not day
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote