Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Lag time when depressing button...

I am an amateur digital camera photographer and I have a question for all of your experienced folks out there. My brother wants a digital camera that he can use for "action" shots of his children playing sports. He is not TOO concerned with the pixel count or SUPER high quality, but he really wants to be able to just push the button and click the shot instantly without any lag time between depressing the button and taking the photo. The price isn't too important either, so please let me have some good information about cameras that excel in this area. Thanks very much for any input.

Tony
[email protected]
monster69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 6:58 PM   #2

Fuji S602 is pretty fast. Other Fuji models also seem to be quite responsive.
The latest Konica is also said to be fast.

Digital slr's are the fastest with shutter response. The market starts with the famous Canon 300D. Probably a bit overdone/impracticle for family photos. (small & mid sized cameras tend to be more easier to take along, for random lucky shots).

In case of doubt there are two camera review sites that also measure shutterlag;
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ (don't read the backdated comments next to the numbers, just look at the numbers)
http://www.dpreview.com
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 1:09 AM   #3

Many cameras with manual overrides can do this, provided he sets the exposure manually and prefocuses roughly on a place where the action may happen. Unless the light is very poor, there's likely to be quite good depth of focus.

Just disabling autofocus and prefocusing manually makes a huge difference to response time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 1:35 PM   #4

Default Lag Time...

I found out about this the hard way. I bought a coolpix 4500 (love the swivel design). Went to shoot my usual cycling action shots. Thought a setting was wrong. I pre-focus, but even then!! I never knew there was lag time in cameras, as my last one (nikon 950) had none. I'm back to the 950 now, because the lag time on the 4500 is so bad. I can't beleive how many cameras have poor lag times (even on pre-focus). I don't know if Steve does lag time in his reviews, but Imaging Resource does.

panned with a nikon 950- external flash:

Check out the Minolta 7i or 7hi. I was going to buy one of these because of the almost non-existant lag time in pre-focus. The Dimages also have 2nd curtain sync, the only prosumer camera I believe with this feature. So it seems ideal for sports....

But now with the huge cost drop in digi SLR's, I personally don't know what to do!
- Mike
Mike Hoffland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 2:00 PM   #5

Many compacts have multi-shot modes so checkout the spec'd speed and number of frames. This isn't the same as single shot delay, but providing you accept the focus and white bal. delays on the first frame, and nothing light or distance wise in the shot changes - you can often capture up to 20 pics, depending on res. mode selected.

One of those could be the winning pic of your children in action! The downside (there's always one!) is you have to wait for the buffer and card writing to finish, before shooting the next 20 shots. Fast cards are helpful here. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 1:38 AM   #6

Default Re: Lag Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hoffland
Check out the Minolta 7i or 7hi. I was going to buy one of these because of the almost non-existant lag time in pre-focus. The Dimages also have 2nd curtain sync, the only prosumer camera I believe with this feature. So it seems ideal for sports....
The Oly C-7x0 series also has 2nd curtain sync, and I'm sure more cameras have it...it's just probably a different term used (Oly calls it Slow2).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote