Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 1, 2010, 4:19 PM   #1

Default Canon ZR-80: VHS to DVD

Hi everyone,
Iím rather new to this concept. I'm hoping I'm posting in the right section - there really wasn't one that fit my problem completely. Iíve somehow built up all the motivation to get all my parentís camcorder VHS tapes and put them on my computer, and then to DVD. Iíve done some reading up on this, and it seems like itís a task that I can do and it also seems there are a lot of programs to choose from and different ways this can be done. I was hoping someone on here might recommend the best way, program, etc. I have a Canon ZR-80 (uses MINI DV's).

The VHS camcorder is an early 1990ís model made by Sears Roebuck. I have located a plug on the back that says ďA/V OutĒ, as Iím guessing this is what I would need to be using.

As mentioned, I have a Canon ZR-80, which Iíve taken videos off of and put on the computer numerous times. The reason I mention this, is I read (I think) where someone recommended putting the VHS tapes to mini-dv using the ZR-80 first, then putting on the computer using the ZR-80. I am still very new to this, so I was hoping I could get a little advice. Would it be best to put them to mini-dv first, or skip that and put them straight on my computer? Which would be best in terms of quality, time, etc?
pearjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2010, 6:57 PM   #2

I don't have any experience at this, but have seen DVD-R/VHS combo units which can record from the tape to DVD directly, and this sounds to me like a lot less trouble.
Looked one up here:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...966&CatId=4672
Probably lots of others available as well.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 9:00 PM   #3

I would advise not adding too many steps. Just connect the vhs player to a dvd recorder, set the time to record on the dvd recorder, press play on the vhs...record on the recorder and finalize when it's done.

I just copied about 20 mini-dv tapes to dvd. the recorders generate 10 minute chapters. forget about editting the movies. you'll never finish. and after the first 2 hour rendering, you'll drop the idea anyway.

go to it. it makes all those movies available to the family again. folks will love you.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 4:12 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the responses! I will definitely do it directly. I do have one final (and possibly dumb) question. I have DVD/VHS combo unit right now (it only plays each, doesn't record as it's old). Can I buy one of these things that can play each as well? It would be nice to be able to replace this old unit I have, and be able to record DVD's from VHS as well. Based on what I've found, it sounds like I can do this, and they are called "DVD Recorder/VHS Combo" units. I'm assuming this is what I'm looking for..
Old May 2, 2010, 10:02 PM   #5

pearjas, yes. you're right. just do it. there's loads of examples as this happens everytime media changes happen. one day all our dvds will be old-school (soon I guess). tigerdirect has quite a few:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?CatId=4677
Old May 3, 2010, 6:25 PM   #6

I was thinking about this one, because it has a built in tuner I will definitely check out Tiger Direct also!

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVD-Re...1&sr=8-1-spell
Old May 3, 2010, 8:01 PM   #7

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to sway you to tigerdirect. I was only using them as a source of examples. The one you chose is good too and with the astc tuner may be more useful in the future.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:37 PM   #8

I didn't think you were! It's a good site to check out as well.