Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2003, 4:30 PM   #1

Default I need a very good yet compact camera for my wife.

Hello,

I want to buy a digital camera for my wife. She wants a camera that is simple to use, small enough to carry with her wherever she goes, and will take pictures as good as or better than a 35mm SLR film model. I don't even know if this is possible.

I am willing to spend around $500 but would like to stay closer to $300. It also needs to have a decent optical zoom and good quality lenses.

Thanks in advance,

James
<><
jvrwishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 6:27 PM   #2

It is impossible that a small compact camera take pictures as good as or better than a 35 mm SLR. If you want this you must buy a Canon D1s that cost about 8000 $.
However the compact cameras take good quality pictures for printing to 8x10 and more.
A good choice maybe a Pentax Optio S4 that has 4 mpx, a 3x zoom 35-105 equivalent, and is the smallest digital camera with zoom.
The price is about 350-400 $.
FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:24 PM   #3

Check out the Canon S400. Itís super compact, and will make excellent 8x10 print outs, but does use an expensive proprietary battery.
iStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:40 PM   #4

For point and shoot style you could look at the new Kodak DX4530 - 5mpx, kinda low ISO though and no manual controls. Good pictures though.

For a bit more control, but the trade off of megapixels you could look at the Canon A70 or A80.

Also, a bit larger, the Minolta Z1 or one I really like, the Olympus 750 are good choices as well.

Write out a list of what features are important to you and then start creating your matrix of cameras that fit the bill. Then narrow it down by price. You should find the camera that filters out to the best value for you.

Good luck.
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote