Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:05 PM   #1

Default Worlds first gigapixel picture !!!!

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm

i just thought it was neat
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:29 PM   #2

oh my,
i am so sorry!!!!!!
i just saw Chael's post, i did a search for "gigapixel" but didn't find that!
i saw this in the dpchallenge forums and thought you all might want to see it

o well i'll just leave it here
sorry again
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:14 AM   #3

Neat, thanks
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:20 AM   #4

I'd like to see the full sized thing.
dylan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:30 AM   #5

That's really cool!

I suppose that's the only way that images of such great resolution will be able to be produced in the forseeable future. Even if an imager was made that could record that resolution, good luck finding a lens sharp enough to put in front of it!
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 9:21 PM   #6

I think by the time we have that resolution of camera all other components will be in line as well - lenses, larger (cheaper) memory card, etc.

Coming from a videography background I can see the same type of changes there. I used to own and shoot BetaSP for broadcast. Cameras ran around $25,000 for the units I was using, with high end going upward of $60k+. Now, with digital video (DV) of various flavors even networks are using it to replace the higher cost equipment without loss of quality. Basically, I can almost the same video with smaller 1/4" CCD's I used to have to buy 2/3" CCD's for. It is the nature of technology to reinvent itself yearly at better and cheaper levels. I just wish taxes would catch on to this so I wouldn't have to depreciate a computer over so many years when it is "out dated" in just two. LOL! Okay, you can one time it

And for our television show we shot a $3000 camera. At the stations, no one could tell.

I wouldn't be surprised if a major CCD announcement came out in the next year about 100 megapixel capabilities. Or maybe I am dreaming 8)
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 12:57 AM   #7

There will come a time where someone will say what's the point of making a higher resolution camera...the majority of the public were satisified with 35mm. There were a few who use medium format or large format cameras.

If people were really serious about quality and MP, they'd get a Hasselblad or Mamiya with a digital back 16MP or higher (just for the digital back alone you're looking at spending 5 figures).

Personally I'm using a 2mp camera because I only print out 8x10s or smaller...if I'm doing larger prints in future I'll buy a 4 or 5mp camera.

Am I jealous of higher MP cameras, no...because you need more storage space for your pictures.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 4:31 AM   #8

I like it.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 5:06 AM   #9

I like it.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 7:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
There will come a time where someone will say what's the point of making a higher resolution camera...the majority of the public were satisified with 35mm. ...
I think one of the major issues limiting most folks to 35mm is/was the price of processing. (Or you have to do the processing yourself - I got fed up with chemicals many years ago.) There is a serious price jump going from 35mm to 6x7, not to mention 4x5. And the extra weight/bulk of the med/large format cameras. That doesn't apply to digital - if you don't want the extra storage of high Mpixel images, you can dial down the resolution on the camera. Saving the high Mp setting for just the special occasions. In addition, you generally will get more features and higher ISO/lower noise at reduced resolution.

The "Mine Is Bigger Than Yours" marketing will continue to drive high Mp and long zooms. Doesn't matter at all if folks have any really need for either one, they will be sold. At some point they might become like tail fins on cars and go away, but not anytime soon.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote