Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 8, 2010, 3:52 AM   #11

Thanks,

The AF point got a bit tricky at times, as they would dance out them and back gain before the camera could adjust.
Old May 8, 2010, 3:54 AM   #12
Super Moderator

It can be a problem for sure, personally if I had an out of focus photo though I would just delete when I'm back home and by posting it then you are distracting from the better shots..... we all have bad shots, out of focus shots, incorrect exposure shots etc, I just wouldn't show the world

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 3:58 AM   #13

yeah, I was using to ask for help. shooting at clubs are a bit tighter environment for the dancers, so they do not move out of my AF point as much as this open area. Normally when I shoot outdoor swing, it is under daylight condition, so I have now issues with single point, as I can track the dancer in the vf, but it was very dark, and I really could not keep the dancer insight as well.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:14 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Looking at these I would guess you are using the 50mm f1.4, that should be giving some visibility of the subjects. I would stick to centre point for accuracy and track while focusing. The good thing about a lot of swing dancing is that they are staying in generally the same position, unlike ballroom, downside is they can move crazy fast so select your focus time and worry about only one dancer for focusing each time. Also, if you are a long way out then the size of your focus target is much smaller which will also make things harder.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:25 AM   #15

Actually no, when they are outdoors, they have more room to generate more power, as they were jumping out of my single AF point all the time, as they were spinning and twirling, and jumps. It is way easier to shoot them indoors.

Actually I had better results with the 28mm 1.8 as I had to get closer. But that was fine for later, but earlier there where just to many to get that close for the 28mm.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:28 AM   #16
Super Moderator

OK, I've not shot any outside dancing so can't speak from experience on that side of things.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:34 AM   #17

The powerful dancer use the added room for higher jumps and longer spinning. And they jump out of my AF point way to many time today. You can get away with 1/200 indoors, as the action is a bit slower with the confined space. But they were moving way quicker outdoor, I needed 1/400 at least if I were to try to keep the strong dancers in my site.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:35 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The powerful dancer use the added room for higher jumps and longer spinning. And they jump out of my AF point way to many time today. You can get away with 1/200 indoors, as the action is a bit slower with the confined space. But they were moving way quicker outdoor, I needed 1/400 at least if I were to try to keep the strong dancers in my site.
Are you talking generally now or with flash for these shutter speeds?

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:38 AM   #19

with and without a flash today.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:43 AM   #20
Super Moderator

OK, without flash I can understand but without flash you could be at very slow shutter speeds and freeze the action. Did you read the thread I linked to earlier specifically this post http://forums.steves-digicams.com/1035430-post6.html

It shows that even using a shutter speed that people would class far too fast to freeze motion is actually better then a higher shutter speed, as long as it is the flash that is the primary light source. This is going back to what I said about under exposing ambient by 2-3 stops.

I think the info on this thread and the one I linked to will give you all the information needed to freeze the action next time out with shooting flash.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.