Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 8, 2010, 4:51 AM   #21

But as the distance increase the light seems to fall off a bit, and in the outdoors, it seems the light is lost. It could be that I was shooting in burst and the flash was not as strong for the range when bursting. I was about 15-20 away, as they were using allot of space to build the power they were looking for, for their lifts, spins, jumps. That way why I went with the 50 over the 28 at first to avoid getting in their way.
Old May 8, 2010, 5:13 AM   #22
Super Moderator

What flash are you using? You should have more then enough power if you have the 430, similar or better. Potentially you need to increase the flash compensation if the exposure isn't correct and don't expect lots of continuous shots but this is the price to pay for utilising a flash.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 5:16 AM   #23

Metz 48, but I did use long burst rate of about 3-5 sec. That is most likely my problem, would increase shutter speed help?
Old May 8, 2010, 5:22 AM   #24
Super Moderator

I would never do a burst of more than 5 or so shots even when shooting sports unless it was essential action like an attempt on goal when I wasn't quite sure where the shot was going to be so needed to get it.

In your situation keep the burst to just a handful of shots (keeps the flash cooler too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
would increase shutter speed help?
Please review everything I've discussed through this thread and the links I posted, this will show everything that you need. The flash has more than enough power to work in this environment, to expose correctly to freeze the action, take multiple bursts etc. I don't think I can add anything as I'm just repeating the advice on under exposing the ambient, setting correct flash compensation if the subject isn't exposed correctly and nailing focus.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 8, 2010, 5:30 AM   #25

Thanks Mark,

I normally would not burst as long, but the increase space, increase the amount of action. So I am pretty sure I created my own problem. When shooting indoors, I did not have this issue, as I did keep my burst down to 2-3 sec. And the flash did not seem to fall off, and I would freeze the action without issue with less then 1/200 sec.

I have been reading the thread you posted, it has given me some info for the next time I shoot in a similar situation. And get close to have a larger AF point.
Old May 8, 2010, 5:40 AM   #26
Super Moderator

Cool, looking forward to seeing if it helps.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 8, 2010, 5:45 AM   #27

It is just funny that if you give dancer a area 2x more then in a club 40x40 vs 20x20. That increases the amount height and magnitude of the dance by 4x actually. Besides doubling the range I need to cover with a camera.