Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:22 PM   #1
NHL

Default R.I.P. CRT :cry:

Quote:
Compared to clunky CRTs, LCD monitors are sleek, stylish, and portable. But LCDs fall short in one department: color fidelity. If you care about color, you may want to stockpile CRT monitors. They'll soon be extinct.
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20549.html
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2003, 9:33 PM   #2

I'm sure by the time CRTs are completely gone we'll have a better solution than LCDs (or LCDs will have better color fidelity at that point). Atleast, that is my hope :!:
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 1:01 AM   #3

Then I'm glad I just bought a new 19" CRT earlier this year...it should last until something better than LCD comes along.

It's funny to hear that a technology as new as computer monitors have disappeared so quickly compared to recent announcements of Kodak stopping production of slide projectors, Nikon stopping production of SLRs, etc.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 3:54 AM   #4

When more large lcd's get into the home where many less discerning TV viewers like bright highly saturated colours, this will be the 'norm' for their pictures. Gone will be the days when everybody talked about getting the output image to look indistinguishable from the real scene. 'Quality' becomes a personal preference, often what attracts and will appeal to the majority of senses - high contrast, bright colour and sharpness - in that order! Nobody's going to look too hard at gamma, grey scale purity, colorimetry and low light noise! I know my tube with care will last 5 years plus, but not a lot is said yet about lcd backlight ageing or reliability.

At the moment I'm glad I'm using a 19 inch crt which produces images like the one's coming back on my photo prints after editing. VOX.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 4:22 AM   #5

Vox what type of monitor do you have.

I'll stick w/ my 19" CRT too. I lucked up and got one that is horizontal instead of vertical for only $80. I think the color could be a little better though.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 3:11 AM   #6

I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster957MB 19" CRT.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 4:58 AM   #7

I read the crt funeral announcement with mixed feelings. As a chromafile, I hope we don't have to wait ages, invest in intermedium lcd screens, before finally graphic professional line of lcd hit the market.

Another minus point for lcd; Lack of full screen sized change of graphic mode change; A 640x480 screen is at a 21" crt monitor just as big as the 1800x1600 screen. Besides that highres lcd screens are still bloody expensive.

At the other hand I 'm more than willing to free up some space at my desktop. A 21" monitor as 'headrest' blob isn't too professional either.

My Ilyama dates from 2000, darkness is slipping in....Fiddling with the digital menu (grrr which m* f*cker came up with that idea) is bloody awfull, I already rather tune my graphic card for different contrast/ chroma. So a lcd without saturation knob does not sound strange to me.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 5:04 AM   #8

Default Re: R.I.P. CRT :cry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Quote:
Compared to clunky CRTs, LCD monitors are sleek, stylish, and portable. But LCDs fall short in one department: color fidelity. If you care about color, you may want to stockpile CRT monitors. They'll soon be extinct.
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20549.html
That's a bit of an overstatement. Current run of the mill LCD monitors don't have the gamut of today's better CRTs, but there are LCD monitors that are incredibly good -- they just cost an arm and a leg <G>! The point is that the technology is available and, over time, it is likely to come down to a reasonable price...

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote