Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2002, 11:51 AM   #1

Default What should an amateur charge for an image?

I finally got the Canon D 60, and I love it. The images it produces are amazing. At my yoga studio is a 15 ft tall bronze Buddha. His head is up into a skylight so it's a difficult shot to frame due to challenges in exposure compensation and angle of composition. I fooled around and got two fantastic shots. The studio's owner loves them and wants to use them on promotional brochures and posters. I was thinking to barter for yoga classes. I also told her the images are copyright.

Questions:

-Does just saying they're copyright and writing "copyright 2002" on the label of the CD with copies of files I gave her make them so? I'm not planning on writing "copyright" onto or embedding it in the image. Of course I do want to know how/when she uses it, and I want a photo credit.

-What is fair to charge? Unlimited yearly yoga classes cost $900. To upgrade to Deluxe (with a mat, towel, water since it's "hot yoga") is $1,200 per year. How about if I get yearly unlimited and ask her to throw in the deluxe upgrade?

-What suggestions do people have for me getting my photos onto the web somewhere so that I can then post them here on Steve's forum? What services are working well, and what is the yearly charge? And yes I did read previous posts on "how to.." It seemed people were running into sites that had "IP blocking for attatchments." I'm new to the digital world. I'd love to post some photos here and get some feedback. I respect the work and opinions of people on this site.

[Edited on 8-8-2002 by Barbados]
Barbados is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2002, 12:55 PM   #2

As you both are trading services the value is in what it will do for the buyer, if a better brochure will increase biz... If you where to take a pic put copywritted on it and save as only copy find out fast hard to get reproduced. Had girl friend that made a few "judgement" calls while working at wally world in photo dept, fired real fast, duh. Most amatures makeing money on web with pics are takeing them for the adult sites,sorry but true.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 2:18 PM   #3

Although I am not a lawer, my dad wrote a book years ago. Including a copyright notice as I remember protected him.

Your name, as the photographer should be noted on the brochure or other materials. I don't know if this is necessary to 'retain' the copyright, but isn't it is customary for there to be an atribution?

Since your not a pro photographer -and- they're going to hold the classes & you'll probably take them anyway -and- it's a barder transaction, if you and they consider it fair, it's fair. May be a stepping stone to a different career.

This may be a sticky point, but what ever you agreed to I'd probably get in writing. Doesn't have to be complicated. Just a simple statement of what you get (# classes or length & type) and what they get (any limitations on use), signed and dated.

Bet it's a great shot. AR
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 2:26 PM   #4

Point by AR most important. Ever watch peoples court, many many cases lost by nothing in writeing. Also indicate if 1x use or may be used in other adds not discussed..
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote