Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 18, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Photography Scholarships?

I have been scouring the internet trying to find a scholarships, or even a single one based off of sports photography?

I am going into my sophomore year in college, and i was hoping that one of yall may have an idea of where i can find something along these lines?

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2010, 1:41 PM   #2

Jeff,

I seriously doubt you'll find anything. Journalism in general is getting hit by hard times. Papers are laying people off left and right. Photojournalism is being hit even harder. There are a LOT more shooters out there already than jobs for them. No one needs sports photographers enough to pay for their college.

If you're not already, you might want to start checking www.sportsshooter.com message board periodically to see what topics are being discussed. The job market does come up repeatedly there. You won't be able to post there, but you can read.

But to summarize, people coming out of college can't find jobs in journalism. You're not likely to find someone that's going to pay for your college.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 1:50 PM   #3

Sounds like what ive been hearing around the papers office :/

I plan on going into the marines after college, i just have to afford college first
Old May 18, 2010, 1:56 PM   #4

You might want to check with the Marines and the National Guard. In the past they've had programs to pay for your college prior to your commitment to them. Of course, whether or not they want to pay for a photojournalism degree is another matter. but if you haven't checked you might want to.
Old May 18, 2010, 2:02 PM   #5

Will do.

And i have met F-15 pilots with literature degrees
Old May 18, 2010, 2:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Will do.

And i have met F-15 pilots with literature degrees
Yes - timing is everything with the military. Their needs cycle up and down. The availability of shcolarships goes up and down with them. You'll find quite a few pilots with 'off' degrees. If you are a match for a given need the branch has, they might not care about what the degree is in - they simply want their officers to have a degree. Other times it's difficult.

I spent 3 1/2 years in AFROTC. I had 20-15 eyesight, great grades, was corps commander and excellent PFT results. But they didn't really need pilots at that time so I lost my flight status because of high cholesterol (at the time they wouldn't allow drugs to reduce it). Fast forward to other points in time in the last 20 years and they're begging for people to be pilots. I was offered both army and AF scholarships -the army one was only for a specific major (business), but the Air Force was for my chosen major - systems analysis. Why bother bringing any of this up? Simple. You have to decide what your goal is - is it to get a journalism degree? Or is it to serve in the Marines? Depending on what your real goal is you might have to be flexible with major or with chosen branch of service.
Old May 18, 2010, 2:40 PM   #7

Well i am a studio arts major at the moment, but my main goal is to be a helio pilot.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:42 PM   #8

The Guard has a loan repayment program that pays up to 50k of your collage loads. Does not matter what you studied.

Unless you went to one of the military academies where engineering it the main focus. All other officers that come in from ROTC or OCS can major in anything they want. So if you are planning to join the Marines after collage, want to check out the Navy's load repayment programs also.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:45 PM   #9

PJ,

On more thing, does you collage have nrotc? If so as long as your grades are go, you may be able to get a scholarship from the navy. There are ROTC scholarship available.
Old May 18, 2010, 7:05 PM   #10

Nope, there are only like 3 schools in florida with nrotc