Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 6, 2003, 8:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Default "Developing" digital images

I have one 8x10 that has been printed twice. Walgreens looks OK, Walmart looks terrible. Neither one are completely correct. Combining the two would be great. Anyway I'm told to look for a company that uses either "Light Jet" or "Durst Lamda." The best so far looks like rivercitysilver.com but their order process is not stright forward. Does anyone know a place that:

-Prints 36-bit images (off a 42MB 48-bit TIFF)
-Allows me to upload such a picture
-Costs less than $10 for an 8x10
-Can handle 300ppi at 8x10
-(optional) in Houston

I've done all of the processing.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2003, 8:32 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 20
Default

An 8x10 is $4 from ShutterFly the best place to get your digital photos printed!

http://www.shutterfly.com/learn/about_prints.jsp
iStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 8:49 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStudent
An 8x10 is $4 from ShutterFly the best place to get your digital photos printed!

http://www.shutterfly.com/learn/about_prints.jsp
They only take JPG. I'm not sure if the fuji frontier is a light jet or not.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 10:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,803
Default

I'm not sure if the Fuji Frontier is a lightjet either (BTW, lightjet is rather expensive, I've heard.) But the Frontier is supposed to be fairly good.

No matter what they use to print the output on, you need a color profile for that device. Without one, you can only hope that your monitor represents color in a similar way that their printer does.

The Frontier is rather common and (I'm told) it isn't hard to find a profile for it.

Of course, IMO the good photo places will offer profiles for download for their equipment. It's a selling/differentation factor in their marketing. If I were a pro I wouldn't go with a place that didn't do that (or didn't tell me how to get one from somewhere, like the manufacturer.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:11 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I'm not sure if the Fuji Frontier is a lightjet either (BTW, lightjet is rather expensive, I've heard.) But the Frontier is supposed to be fairly good.

No matter what they use to print the output on, you need a color profile for that device. Without one, you can only hope that your monitor represents color in a similar way that their printer does.

The Frontier is rather common and (I'm told) it isn't hard to find a profile for it.

Of course, IMO the good photo places will offer profiles for download for their equipment. It's a selling/differentation factor in their marketing. If I were a pro I wouldn't go with a place that didn't do that (or didn't tell me how to get one from somewhere, like the manufacturer.)

Eric
Thanks. I think I will try to use http://www.rivercitysilver.com . Yes they have a color profile and I checked it against the picture. As long as they take 16-bit tiffs. They all seem to be more difficult than the public services. Mail/fax in an order form, etc. I may end up having to mail the picture on CD unless I find something local.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 9:37 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6
Default

Have you tried Wolf's Cameras in Houston? They are a chain that I think used to be Ritz.

I was informed by someone else that they do good digital to print work, but have not tried them personally yet.

ALso Houston Camera Exchange on Richmond (I think near Hillcroft) is excellant for many things - don't know if they do Digital yet, but worth a try.
steelsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:18 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsun
Have you tried Wolf's Cameras in Houston? They are a chain that I think used to be Ritz.

I was informed by someone else that they do good digital to print work, but have not tried them personally yet.

ALso Houston Camera Exchange on Richmond (I think near Hillcroft) is excellant for many things - don't know if they do Digital yet, but worth a try.
If I walk into HCE I will probably try to get a 50/1.8 lens Thanks. I broke down and converted to jpeg and am trying Shutterfly. It came out of the camera as JPEG so I doubt it lost too much. I just wanted to know where to get the best prints in the future when I migrate to RAW. I'll try one more out since it is only $4.68 including shipping. Although I did email a local photo studio as well asking for recommendations. Most of them on the internet seem to be around $22 a 8x10 print with the Light Jet. And they are not easy to order from. I think they are assuming having to do some processing though.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
sjms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,735
Default

lightjet uses many types of media. you better find out the paper type because it too is a factor in longevity. at $22 a print you better know what you have.

http://www.cymbolic.com/LJ5000.html

http://www.lightroom.com/lr_pages/lightjet.html

http://www.jameswjohnson.com/lightjet.htm
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 11:45 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
lightjet uses many types of media. you better find out the paper type because it too is a factor in longevity. at $22 a print you better know what you have.

http://www.cymbolic.com/LJ5000.html

http://www.lightroom.com/lr_pages/lightjet.html

http://www.jameswjohnson.com/lightjet.htm
Most seem to use Fuji Crystal Archive.
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.