Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 23, 2010, 7:57 PM   #1

Default The constant need to feel I need to upgrade

How many people out there feel caught up in the upgrading of camera bodies? So far Ive resisted upgrading from my 40D to something like the 7D. I upgraded from a 300D to the 30D for the speed of shooting wildlife, then I went to the 40D for the better FPS as well. The 50D came out and I found that it had no faster FPS and there was little else I could see that Id upgrade for. Then I started shooting more landscapes and Portraits so the speed thing really became a non issue on the whole. Now I find myself looking at the 7D and wondering if I would get better images than the 40D produces but I can honestly say I'm happy with almost everything about the 40D. I look at the FF cameras and wonder about getting one so I have both kind of cameras. If the money was available Id probably add to my collection of L lenses. I do see many people on different camera sites that seem to update the cameras almost as each new one comes out. I ask myself will that make the photos better, am I being left behind in the technology stakes? Does anyone else wonder about these things. The camera companies seem to be putting out new better cameras all the time and many of us seem caught up in all this new stuff. Who else is pondering these issues?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2010, 8:06 PM   #2

If you need better low light, then upgrading would be a good idea to a 7D or a FF. If HD is something you want then upgrade will be something you will want to consider. IQ got a little better from the 40D to the 7D and it would be a big jump if you went to a 5D.

But CBA is addicting almost as bad as LBA. My take on it is if the camera can not meet your performance needs it is time to upgrade or augment. I will most likely add the 5DMKIII when it comes out next year. As I need better high iso performance that my T1i can not match. It does a find job for everything, but could be a bit better for my no light shooting.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:10 PM   #3

I used to feel that way about my computers. Before that, it was about my guitars. And, until QUITE recently, about cameras. As with the other two obsessions, I have now learned the same object lesson about my cameras: If what you have does what you want it to do, when you want it done -- why upgrade? I was listening to other people define MY needs and MY desires. In the case of cameras, I let Madison Avenue define what I needed/wanted instead of listening to ME and empowering ME to make a decision. Who knows you better than you? Who are you shooting to please? You or ___________ (fill in the blank)?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 8:19 PM   #4

I want lenses. Gotta havum. More lenses. Longer lenses. Wider lenses. Faster lenses. Better lenses. Gotta havum.

Bodies? Naaa... Camera bodies are just so I can use my lenses.

Last edited by TCav; May 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 1:19 AM   #5

I think that what I have will do for a while, maybe I will just wait until another model comes out, I did this last time and the price dropped by half which is when I picked up the 40D.

however like TCav I have a serious problem with lens addiction mainly the L variety :-)
Old May 24, 2010, 2:03 AM   #6
Super Moderator

for landscapes and such, you would not gain much by going to the 7d. the image quality difference isn't much, more pixels versus better pixels, not much difference in the end.

the 5dmkii would give you a measurable increase in image quality over your 40d. but of course you need the lenses to make full use of, which i know you already do, with the 17-40, 70-200 4 and the 100-400, and probably i am forgetting a few. so really this would be the most logical choice, going ff for the portraiture and landscape, and keeping the crop body for wildlife etc.. but then again, that comes at a price.
Old May 24, 2010, 2:06 AM   #7

Thank god I do not the the LBA with the L series strain. That would be seriously dangerous
Old May 24, 2010, 9:09 AM   #8

what is CBA and LBA stand for?
Old May 24, 2010, 9:11 AM   #9

Dustin, I know all you say is right but the 5D11 is way out of my range. Mind you Im entering a photo competition soon and first prize is 2500 dollars worth of camera equipment from our local camera store, I have spent that in my mind over and over and would probably go for lenses if I was lucky enough to win that. The subject is not really my sort of thing but I will enter anyway :-)
Old May 24, 2010, 9:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
what is CBA and LBA stand for?
CBA - Camera Buying Addiction
LBA - Lens Buying Addiction
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote