Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 24, 2010, 3:36 PM   #1

Default Number on img-is that your actuation number?

Hi,
Someone told me that when you load you images on your computer, the img # is the shutter count? Is this true? I format my CF card frequently, but when I load the images, is still count img 8713...8714..etc?
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2010, 4:37 PM   #2

Yup its the numerical order of shots as you take them. There is a choice how you can have your shots numbered but its basically 0001 to 9999 then it goes back to 0001.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 4:41 PM   #3

However, Mark-

That numbering system can be interrupted at any time by a simple menu command. So, as you can easily see, it is definitely not a reliable shutter count indicator.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 4:45 PM   #4

Also each time when it gets to 9999, it starts again from 0001...
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 5:30 PM   #5

Also if there has been any firmware update, It would put the count back to 0. So you really can not tell form image count.
Old May 24, 2010, 5:43 PM   #6

Ok, thanks, well at least it will tell me the minimum. I had heard that, and at least if I do buy a used body, and someone tells me it has 1000 actuation's, and the numbering says 7154...etc...I know it as at least that much. My XT has about 9000 img #, I have read that is will go 50,000. I bought this used, was suppose to have less than 500, I know I have not shot 8k. thing looked new, and works great, so I am happy with it. I have post on other thread the thought of upgrading, but wanted to ask about the myth of the shutter count.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Mark2009; May 24, 2010 at 5:54 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:34 PM   #7

You can try using a utility such as PhotoME, which will provide a lot of makernote data. With some cameras, the actual shutter actuation count is provided in the Exif metadata.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 6:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Ok, thanks, well at least it will tell me the minimum. I had heard that, and at least if I do buy a used body, and someone tells me it has 1000 actuation's, and the numbering says 7154...etc...I know it as at least that much. My XT has about 9000 img #, I have read that is will go 50,000. I bought this used, was suppose to have less than 500, I know I have not shot 8k. thing looked new, and works great, so I am happy with it. I have post on other thread the thought of upgrading, but wanted to ask about the myth of the shutter count.
Thanks again.
50k is just an average. Some shutters will last much longer, some won't last as long.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 6:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
50k is just an average. Some shutters will last much longer, some won't last as long.
No. It's not an average. Generally, its a 95th precentile, meaning that 95% of the shutters will do better and only 5% will do worse. Sometimes it's only a 90th percentile, meaning that 90% will do better. But an average is the 50th percentile, where 50% will do better and 50% will do worse.

Manufacturers use the 95th precentile (or the 90th percentile) because shutters that fail before the stated longevity may qualify for warranty repairs (or even class-action lawsuits.) Plus, if half of the people that bought a product had it fail before the manufacturer said it would, they would be reluctant to buy something else from that manufacturer. But if it lasted a lot longer than the manufacturer said it would, they would be much more likely to buy something else from that manufacturer.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 7:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No. It's not an average. Generally, its a 95th precentile, meaning that 95% of the shutters will do better and only 5% will do worse. Sometimes it's only a 90th percentile, meaning that 90% will do better. But an average is the 50th percentile, where 50% will do better and 50% will do worse.

Manufacturers use the 95th precentile (or the 90th percentile) because shutters that fail before the stated longevity may qualify for warranty repairs (or even class-action lawsuits.) Plus, if half of the people that bought a product had it fail before the manufacturer said it would, they would be reluctant to buy something else from that manufacturer. But if it lasted a lot longer than the manufacturer said it would, they would be much more likely to buy something else from that manufacturer.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!!!