Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 27, 2010, 7:44 AM   #11

Haven't tried stacking yet. Just a thought before I shell out 158 bucks for the 9 stop Hoya. I see what you're saying. The .6 is a $40 filter while the .9 cost me $90. I guess I have a mix bag of goods. Think I'll go for the Hoya and not try stacking. My boss gave me the thumbs up so why not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Your .6 is two stops, your .9 is three stops, and the Tiffen 16x I mentioned is four stops. Ten stops would be for something like taking time exposures of the Sun.

Have you tried your .6 and .9 filters to do what you want? Did you get close? Were the results from the .9 significantly different from the .6?

Filters, especially inexpensive filters, can noticeably reduce image quality. Stacking filters, especially inexpensive filters, will reduce image quality A LOT! Since this is to record movement during a long exposure, the image quality degradation might not be noticeable, but flare may appear during your exposure that you didn't see when you first set it up.
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 8:04 AM   #12

You could try stacking another polarizing filter with your existing one. By simply turning the ring of the outer filter, you get a variable ND filter which should get to nearly full black. Sometimes the shorter wavelengths will show through more, giving a purple cast to the shot, but this can be removed with PS.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 8:22 AM   #13

The Hoya NDx400 sounds like the best choice for what you want to do. And since someone else is paying for it, what the heck?

The tough part will be composing and focusing. Put the filter on AFTER you've done both.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 8:41 AM   #14

A polarizer would be cheaper but since my wife said go for the Hoya I'll get the Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
You could try stacking another polarizing filter with your existing one. By simply turning the ring of the outer filter, you get a variable ND filter which should get to nearly full black. Sometimes the shorter wavelengths will show through more, giving a purple cast to the shot, but this can be removed with PS.

brian
Old May 27, 2010, 8:43 AM   #15

Much easier to deal with one filter than 2-3. She's not paying She just gave me the thumbs up Hopefully I'll have time today to head over to Adorama.

Quote:
The Hoya NDx400 sounds like the best choice for what you want to do. And since someone else is paying for it, what the heck?

The tough part will be composing and focusing. Put the filter on AFTER you've done both.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoy View Post
Much easier to deal with one filter than 2-3. She's not paying She just gave me the thumbs up Hopefully I'll have time today to head over to Adorama.
Sorry. I misunderstood who "the boss" was.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 9:20 AM   #17

She said it's okay as long as it's "my" money and not her's

Quote:
Sorry. I misunderstood who "the boss" was.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:37 AM   #18

B+W 77mm 110 ND 3.0 filter's here!!!!!! Only had time to take one test shot Not the best example but good enough to show the clouds moving across the sky at noon So far I like big time! I'll try to take some more creative shots soon.

28-70mm @ 70mm
f/13
13 sec
ISO 100

Last edited by cmoy; Aug 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM   #19

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Is available a substance called WELDER'S GLASS. Is used in helmet visors to block intense welding light. A ~5x6" / 125x150mm sheet is available at USA hardware stores for under US$10 -- I think I paid $7 at a Lowe's superstore. Can be easily cut to fit filter rings -- I'm clumsy, so get mine cut at local glass shop. The result is what I call ND666. Is nice CHEAP way to stop time.