Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:28 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
It's a photography related post Jim - honest !
Yea, right. :-)

These spammers are really getting on my nerves. I must have deleted a dozen spam posts already this morning. Grrrrr
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:33 AM   #12
Administrator

Make that 20 spam posts deleted so far this morning (I just counted them), and it's still early yet. LOL

Apple iPhones for sale, cameras like the Nikon D3s for only $1100, etc.

Nigerian scammers have been posting a lot of it lately from what I can tell from their IP addresses (with physical addresses in posts to make them look like they're legitimate businesses in other countries). Hopefully, any of our members that read these posts are smart enough to realize that if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. :-)
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Make that 20 spam posts deleted so far this morning (I just counted them), and it's still early yet. LOL

Apple iPhones for sale, cameras like the Nikon D3s for only $1100, etc.

Nigerian scammers have been posting a lot of it lately from what I can tell from their IP addresses (with physical addresses in posts to make them look like they're legitimate businesses in other countries). Hopefully, any of our members that read these posts are smart enough to realize that if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. :-)

Are you serious?? I can't buy a D3s for $1100?? And if I give my bank account number to a Nigerian official to help him move some money out of the country, he won't give me a cut for helping him out??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Administrator

Note that most of the adverts in posts here also offer quantity discounts (buy 2, get 1 free, etc.). So, unless the posts are scams (and if you read it on the internet, it must be true, right?), you might able to get several Nikon D3s bodies for not much over $2K.

Even if Nikon USA won't service them because they're gray market, at those prices, just buy spares.

Just send them your bank account info (or wire the money to them, send it via Western Union, or in whatever way they request it) and let us know when you take delivery of the cameras so we can make sure they're a reputable vendor versus a scammer. ;-)
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:21 AM   #15
Administrator

I leave one of the posts from time to time (after filtering out the e-mail addresses, etc.).

Here's one example of the types of posts we see here every day. Note that the D3s is less than the D3 (scroll down and you'll see it).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...l-cameras.html

The really good deal is the D3x for only $1500.

But, this poster requires you to buy 3 to get 1 free. So, you'd have to spend around $4500 ($1500 x 3) just to get four D3x bodies. :-)

Considering they're selling for over $7000 each in the U.S. now, I guess that's a great deal, right? ;-)

I delete these types of posts all the time (including multiple posts similar to it this morning).
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
A lot of them are operating from other countries. Holland seems to
be their favourite place. There are some in the UK and even a few
here in Ireland.

Here is something to cheer you up when they get on your nerves:
http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:12 PM   #17
Administrator

Some of them are likely elsewhere using proxy servers to mask their real location, too. We get a lot of spambots posting here usng proxies. The vendors of that type of software offer subscription services that includes the software for spamming.

The better software can register on forums (recognizing and responding correctly to eCaptcha, confirm the membership registration using the links in the confirmation e-mails, etc.), search for posts relevant to the products they're promoting and make posts appearing to be a real person (even quoting other posts in the threads). LOL The vendors offer database with popular forums listed, and offer proxy server services to go along with the package (all for a low monthly subscription fee). When I see an IP address that's a known proxy server (using databases forums share to track that type of thing), I'll filter all IP addresses related to it. But, it's a never ending battle, with the spammers constantly trying to stay one step ahead of you. Grrrrrr

Let's put it this way.... the vendors selling spambot software and services are not on my good side, and they probably wouldn't want to visit me in person. ;-)

But, a lot of the posts are probably just Nigerian scammers posting from Internet Cafes, too.

We also get our share of posts from a variety of other countries (as marketing firms are hiring a lot of overseas spammers now to make posts with links in sigs promoting companies, etc.). Some countries are far worse than others. But, I'll refrain from mentioning speciifics, as not to offend any members from those areas.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:36 PM   #18

This is interesting, but is there a particular reason you just don't delete this topic?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:55 PM   #19
Administrator

I just leave some from time to time to set examples for the spammers (so that they'll know they'll be banned if posting spam here).
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:50 AM   #20

Has anybody noticed how popular this thread has been? No less than 745 views so far! There must be a lot of folks with weight problems out there. IMO there is only one way to lose weight: cut down on your grub intake.

Last edited by riki101; Jun 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM.
riki101 is offline   Reply With Quote