Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 29, 2010, 4:35 PM   #1

Default comp cannot detect camera

my panasonic lumix tz4 isn't able to download into my comp. i'm receiving "the comp cannot detect the camera" message. ditto for my card reader. device manager shows camera as a canon tz4. my computer displays a canon tz4 icon. should i reinstall software? please advise.
norco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2010, 7:46 PM   #2

Did I understand correctly: your card reader will not read the card? It should. Are you removing the card from the camera and inserting in into the card reader? Does your computer recognize the card reader?

This sounds more like a computer problem.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 9:46 PM   #3
Administrator

Go into your TZ4 setup menus. On the third page you'll see a USB Mode Choice. Set it to Mass Storage and your camera should work as a removable drive so that you that don't need any special drivers installed. Then, if you click on it under My Computer, you should be able to get to the folder with your images in it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4

thanks for the tip. i connected the cable from pictbridge to pc and getting download, however my card reader isn't downloading - "comp cannot detect camera". is my reader damaged and good for replacement? please advise
Old May 30, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Administrator

What kind of card reader is it, and what kind of card are you using?

Note that many Secure Digital Card Readers will not work with SDHC cards, especially older card reader designs before SDHC cards were introduced. You'll need a card reader that's specifically compatible with SDHC cards, not just SD cards if your card is SDHC.

Card readers designed to the newer SD 2.0 specifications will work with both SDHC and SD Cards. But, card readers designed to the older SD 1.0 and 1.1 specfications will only work with SD cards, and will not work with SDHC cards.
Old May 30, 2010, 2:37 PM   #6
Administrator

If you're talking about using the camera as a reader, you'll want to set the USB Mode setup choice you'll find in it's menus to Mass Storage, not Pictbridge, for best compatibility.
Old May 30, 2010, 2:49 PM   #7

my card reader is a sd/mmc type. the card is a kingston sd 2 gb memory. the camera now set to the pc mode is downloading, but the card reader is not. thanks again for your interest
Old May 31, 2010, 1:40 PM   #8
Administrator

It's likely the card reader. Many card readers will not work with SD cards larger than 1GB in size, since 1GB was the maximum size allowed under the original SD 1.0 specification. Although the later 1.1 spec allowed for larger SD (not SDHC Cards), many card readers and devices only support a block length of 512 bytes, limiting the max size supported to 1GB. That's a very common problem with built in readers designed before SDHC cards were shipping.

See this section of a wikipedia page about Secure Digital for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_....A0GB_capacity

Here's a quote:

Quote:
..The main problem is that some of the card readers support only a block (or, sector) size of 512 bytes, so greater than 1 GB non-SDHC cards may cause compatibility difficulties for users of such devices.
Note that you can buy an SDHC reader for under $10. So, you may want to consider a new reader that will work with both SD and SDHC cards (and SDHC readers will also work with 2GB SD cards). Here are some USB attached Card Readers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20