Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2003, 11:37 PM   #1

Default TELL ME WHAT TO BUY

I'm trying to decide between a Fuji F700, Nikon coolpix 4300, or a Minolta G500. This is a camera for my daughter who will send photos to friends on her computer but also wants to make prints and enlargement for her own use. She want a camera small enough to put in her purse or back pack.
aggiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:06 PM   #2

Default hi

let me see if I can help you! :lol:

... I have a Nikon and have a very good opinion of it ...
It comes with different modes... set a mode and shoot....
However oflate I have a feeling that Sony is better than Nikon...
So I strongly suggest you consider the 5 MP camera from Sony... esp if you want to print large sized photos...
bhaskarannadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:12 PM   #3
Administrator

I have the Konica Revio KD-510z. This is the same camera as the Minolta DiMAGE G500.

Konica-Minolta have merged, and market this new 5 Megapixel Model under the Konica KD-510z label and model number in some areas, and under the Minolta DiMAGE G500 label in other areas.

I purchased this camera after returning a Sony DSC-P10 that I was not satisfied with (metering, flash, etc.).

I am quite pleased with the Konica KD-510z/Minolta G500. You can see some photos from mine here:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:14 PM   #4

Don't expect a response form Steve on this one.
If there's one question he hates most on this planet, it's definitely your topic title "tell me what to buy" or "what should I buy"

I've been very pleased with all the Nikon products I've ever used. THe last Nikon I owned was a 995 adn you didn't need to know jack about cameras or photography to take a great picture everytime. Only draw back was that the internal flash was really prone to red eye. I'm currently using a Fuji FinePix S602Z now and I am very pleased with this unit as well. No red problems but definitely unforgiving in low light environments. The newer raplacement model for this camera is now sub $500.00 and great value for what you get. I can't speak of the other cameras you mentioned as I have no experience with them. A friend of mine bought the raplacement model to my camera and the only thing that's missing is the sound effects. Great camera, great price !!
SG Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:25 PM   #5
Administrator

I would concur with the last poster. The Nikon is a nice camera, too.

Believe it or not, the 4 Megapixel Sensor used in the Coopix 4300 you are looking at, is better than the newer 5 Megapixel Subcompact Models in low light (where the camera needs to increase the sensitivity of the signal coming from the CCD Sensor).

This has to do with the size of the photodiodes on the image sensor. The 4 Megapixel model you are looking at uses larger "buckets" (the Photodiodes) for gathering light for the individual pixels, and has less noise (similiar to film grain), compared to 5 Megapixel Models with the same sensor size.

This is not true for all 4 Megapixel Models (some use smaller sensors).

I've owned two Nikons (and still have a Nikon Coolpix 950), and they are good cameras.

There are pros and cons to either choice. I'd check them out "in person" and see what you think.

Good Luck!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:30 PM   #6

I would recommend the Nikon 4300 as the top choice of the three followed by the G500. I do not much about this Fuji model.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:59 PM   #7

I know you want a small camera, but since you also want other factors, check out the Kodak Dx6490. I've tried it a few days ago at Best Buy, and its 2.2 inch LCD looks great. Checked out sample pics and reviews on a few sites, and they look pretty good too. It feels good in my hand, and it's definitely EASY to use. So that might just make your decision making process a bit more complicated now
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 3:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Mark
Don't expect a response form Steve on this one.
If there's one question he hates most on this planet, it's definitely your topic title "tell me what to buy" or "what should I buy"
Maybe a "sticky" should be posted at the top of this and the newby forum with the answer to that (the way you put it of course). Most members are probably as sick of those types of questions, and would appreciate a FAQ that says, "here's the general info, now go and make up your own decision" that we can point to whenever someone asks the most dreded question here.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Maybe a "sticky" should be posted at the top of this and the newby forum with the answer to that ...
Wouldn't help unless it was made of paper and glued to the surface of their monitor - and even then it better be at least the size of the screen, opaque, and absolutely nonremovable.

I find it interesting that most of the folks who ask the "which camera?" question don't seem to come back to see the answer- that is their only post.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:25 AM   #10

OK, I see the original poster got nailed for asking "What should I buy?" So, I will ask "What is available?" ops:

My employer is looking for a digicam with a wide optical zoom range. Maybe 8 to 1, or better. Small and cheap are virtues, of course. Lots of megapixels are not important. Who makes such cameras?

Thank you.
austex is offline   Reply With Quote