Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:58 PM   #11
Administrator

Probably not (CCD problem) if the thumbnails look good. Something is just corrupting the files or you have a card issue.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:15 PM   #12

Hey JimC,

Just an update. We bought a brand new Sony brand SDHC card, formatted it in the camera, and took a few test pics. Same results.

I've already processed a return/exchange.

I'll post again when I receive the new unit and run some tests. Hopefully we just got a freak bad camera.

Chris
chrison600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:37 PM   #13

Hi JimC,

Another update. Received the exchange camera today. Tried a test using the internal memory and then the same SD card from the old/bad camera (reformatted first). Both worked 100%. I guess this was a freak bad camera.

A question for you: Do you know of anyone who can take a Memory Stick PRO Duo card and recover the maximum that can be recovered off of it (thumbnails, partial files, whole files, corrupted files, etc)? Since this freak issue pretty much ruined all of the pictures we will ever have of our daughter's high school graduation and grad party, we'd like to have a professional recover as much as possible.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:57 PM   #14
Administrator

Send it to me and I'll see what I can do. No charge, but no promises. For something as important as graduation images, I'll see what I can do.

But, if they're already corrupted on the card (which is what I suspect), then nobody is going to be able to fix them for you without low level editing of the files, and I don't know anyone that does that type of thing.

I can try to make multiple passes using a linux utility (gnu ddrescue) to get a good copy of it without hard errors. Then, use something like photorec to retrieve the images from that copy.

See my posts on the bottom of this page for how that works:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ialised-3.html

But, if they're already corrupted with no sign of hard errors on the card, there's little hope of getting them back intact.

I'll send you a PM with my address in it if you want me to take a look for you. Or, it's pretty simple to do yourself (and I can try to talk you through it via phone).

Whatever you do, please do *not* run any utilities that attempt to "fix" the problem (writing to the card, as chkdsk, etc. may do). You only want to use utilities that read from it until you can get what you can from it by making an exact sector by sector copy of the card first (making multiple passes to get an error free copy), then work with the copy versus the original card to fix file system issues and retrieve the images.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:17 PM   #15

Go ahead and PM me your address. Is there a way to recover thumbnails? At least those would be low res but complete images.

I would like to pay you for your efforts though.

Thanks!

Chris
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:51 PM   #16
Administrator

Yes, there are some utilities that can extract the thumbnails from an image. Here's one example:

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

But, they're low resolution and wouldn't do you much good if you needed a larger viewing size.

I sent you a PM with my address if you want me to take a look. Again, no charge, but no promises. If I had a similar issue (something as important as graduation images), I'd hope that someone would help me out, too. It's really no big deal for me to see what I can do with it (just a few commands using some linux utilities).

Just don't get your hopes up, as if they're corrupted on the card and it's not just a file system problem (or hard errors that we can work around by making multiple passes with a program designed for that purpose to read as much error free data as possible), then we may not be able to get them back.