Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Basic colors

I see that the Sony DSCF828 camera's sensor records 4 basic colors in place of the more usual 3. The extra color is, I think, emerald. From some sample pictures I've seen (displayed on a computer screen) the result is more natural.

Printers on the other hand all - so far as I can see - use only 3 colors for the purpose of printing.

Does this mean that there is no printer that can fully reproduce what the Sony DSCF828 camera actually records?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 3:54 AM   #2

Printers NEVER used the same colours as monitors and cameras...you're talking about two different colour theories. With monitors and cameras red, green and blue light makes white light, while in printers cyan, magenta and yellow pigments make (muddy) black pigment. You can also get more photo realistic printer that uses light cyan, light magenta, and sometimes even a light black...the purpose to produce more realistic colours (especially skin).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:56 AM   #3

If Sony are following (Good) TV camera practice they are using Red, Green, Blue and a separate sensor for Luminance (Black and white). This has the potential advantage of providing lower noise and better resolution since you are not producing the black and white component by mixing RGB (3 lots of noise), and there is also a dynamic range improvement. Whether the camera performs as still camera photographers would expect in every other sense, might be another issue but this practice at the ccd end is a good one.

It costs more to do this and more still cams should go this route. If this is what is done, it has nothing to do with the additional colour inks in photo printers - which are there because the three basic ink colours + black cannot reproduce some subtle tones such as flesh colour correctly. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:56 AM   #4

Default Some Thoughts

Many artists now regard the 3 primary colors idea as just an abstaction and somewhat misleading. In the physical world of paint every color will also reflect small amounts of at least one of the other primaries and thus there is not any such thing as a pure blue, red or yellow. Good color mixing requires a larger view of color than just 3 primaries. For example, a blue will either lean to either a red or yellow even tho it still looks "blue". The practical application of this leads to the notion that there must be at least 6 basic colors and not just 3.

Having said that, we have to admire the realistic images we can get from our printers, especially those that use only 3 inks plus a black.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:34 AM   #5

Default More....

I should have added a link for those who might be interested in my above remarks.

www.schoolofcolor.com

Check out the book "Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green" by
Michael Wilcox

Since this is a photographic site and not really the best place to discuss "art", we all might be better served by your going there.
The book is also available in art stores.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:41 AM   #6

Default Re: Basic colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Printers on the other hand all - so far as I can see - use only 3 colors for the purpose of printing.
Printers use at least four colors, not three. Don't forget black.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:14 AM   #7

Default SURE

My statement was "3 colors plus black"
Old Dec 9, 2003, 6:12 PM   #8

Many 4 color GP printers donít mix the black for photos.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:31 PM   #9

Default OK

I said nothing about mixing?
Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:40 PM   #10

Default Printing pictures from DSCF828

Has anybody made test prints from the two sample pictures?

I did that with my 3-colors plus black Canon S500 printer that I usually find quite capable. The two prints were slightly different, but they fell well short of reproducing the difference in the two pictures as they display on my screen.

Has anybody else tried this with a more capable printer?

The two sample pictures are here - you can click on them for bigger versions -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so...lorCCD_pr.html
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote