Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1

Default Pop-out lenses

New digicams now come with pop-out lenses. I preferred the fixed ones like on the Sony DSC-T3. Less likely to get damaged and no moving parts. Can anyone tell me if there is a technical reason for adopting pop-out lenses on such small cameras? Quality wise I can't see any difference. TIA
riki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki101 View Post
New digicams now come with pop-out lenses. I preferred the fixed ones like on the Sony DSC-T3. Less likely to get damaged and no moving parts. Can anyone tell me if there is a technical reason for adopting pop-out lenses on such small cameras? Quality wise I can't see any difference. TIA
I guess you're referring to external telescoping zoom compared to the folding optics internal zoom lenses.

Larger lenses allow greater zoom for a fixed sensor size. That's why folding optics internal zoom cameras are normally limited to less than 4x zoom. Larger lenses also allow larger aperatures at the wide end.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki101 View Post
Small is the operative word. Telescoping lenses allow a smaller, easier to carry form factor. Yes they have more moving parts, but in my opinion the lens is more protected hidden away in the body during non use, which is the state the camera is in most of the time.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
I guess you're referring to external telescoping zoom compared to the folding optics internal zoom lenses.

Larger lenses allow greater zoom for a fixed sensor size. That's why folding optics internal zoom cameras are normally limited to less than 4x zoom. Larger lenses also allow larger aperatures at the wide end.

Sky
Thanks for enlightening me Sky. I can now understand better the difference between the Sony DSC-T3 3x zoom, internal mounted lens, and the Sony W350 4x zoom, telescopic lens, wide angle.

Last edited by riki101; Jul 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Small is the operative word. Telescoping lenses allow a smaller, easier to carry form factor. Yes they have more moving parts, but in my opinion the lens is more protected hidden away in the body during non use, which is the state the camera is in most of the time.
Rjseeney, my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T3, internal mounted lens, is not much larger than the W350 with telescopic lens, perhaps 1 or 2 mm thicker. Both lenses in these two cameras are well protected when not in use. And IMO when in use the DSC-T3 is just as well protected than the retracted lens of the W350. The quality of pics on the DSC-T3 are just as good and I prefer it. For small cameras like these I really can't see the need for telescopic lenses which can easily get damaged for close work. Thanks for your comments.