Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Member
 
riki101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 75
Default Pop-out lenses

New digicams now come with pop-out lenses. I preferred the fixed ones like on the Sony DSC-T3. Less likely to get damaged and no moving parts. Can anyone tell me if there is a technical reason for adopting pop-out lenses on such small cameras? Quality wise I can't see any difference. TIA
riki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki101 View Post
New digicams now come with pop-out lenses. I preferred the fixed ones like on the Sony DSC-T3. Less likely to get damaged and no moving parts. Can anyone tell me if there is a technical reason for adopting pop-out lenses on such small cameras? Quality wise I can't see any difference. TIA
I guess you're referring to external telescoping zoom compared to the folding optics internal zoom lenses.

Larger lenses allow greater zoom for a fixed sensor size. That's why folding optics internal zoom cameras are normally limited to less than 4x zoom. Larger lenses also allow larger aperatures at the wide end.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki101 View Post
New digicams now come with pop-out lenses. I preferred the fixed ones like on the Sony DSC-T3. Less likely to get damaged and no moving parts. Can anyone tell me if there is a technical reason for adopting pop-out lenses on such small cameras? Quality wise I can't see any difference. TIA
Small is the operative word. Telescoping lenses allow a smaller, easier to carry form factor. Yes they have more moving parts, but in my opinion the lens is more protected hidden away in the body during non use, which is the state the camera is in most of the time.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Member
 
riki101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
I guess you're referring to external telescoping zoom compared to the folding optics internal zoom lenses.

Larger lenses allow greater zoom for a fixed sensor size. That's why folding optics internal zoom cameras are normally limited to less than 4x zoom. Larger lenses also allow larger aperatures at the wide end.

Sky
Thanks for enlightening me Sky. I can now understand better the difference between the Sony DSC-T3 3x zoom, internal mounted lens, and the Sony W350 4x zoom, telescopic lens, wide angle.

Last edited by riki101; Jul 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM.
riki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Member
 
riki101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Small is the operative word. Telescoping lenses allow a smaller, easier to carry form factor. Yes they have more moving parts, but in my opinion the lens is more protected hidden away in the body during non use, which is the state the camera is in most of the time.
Rjseeney, my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T3, internal mounted lens, is not much larger than the W350 with telescopic lens, perhaps 1 or 2 mm thicker. Both lenses in these two cameras are well protected when not in use. And IMO when in use the DSC-T3 is just as well protected than the retracted lens of the W350. The quality of pics on the DSC-T3 are just as good and I prefer it. For small cameras like these I really can't see the need for telescopic lenses which can easily get damaged for close work. Thanks for your comments.
riki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:08 PM.