Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:06 AM   #1

Default Which Hosting Site ?

GW - I hope you don't mind me quoting your answer to someone's else's in-thread question as a lead-in to this thread !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
That's the main reason I use Zinfolio to host my photos. As I mentioned above, I upload a 8X12 image at 200ppi in tif format, that gives me about an 11 meg file with no loss of IQ from compression that you get in jpeg. Then, when I want to share a photo here, I use the little yellow square icon at the top of the message box that looks like a mountain with the sun, I left click on that and paste the link I copied from my Zenfolio site ( I can explain that part later) and click "OK" within a couple seconds you'll see your photo show up in the message box where your cursor was before you you clicked the icon. you can post multiple images by positioning you cursor below the last image and click the icon again and repeat the proses. doing it this way, you're not embedding the image and the 252kb rule does not apply. This may sound complicated but once you do it, its really easy. You can get a free zinfolio account with a limited amount of storage or, like I do, pay $30 a year for unlimited storage. And, if you stop and think about it, that's a pretty good deal considering the benefits you get with having a host/storage site.
Almost swung me ! I haven't uploaded much to my Flikr account yet - although I do like the social aspect, critique etc. of Flikr. However I love the appearance of both Zinfolio and Smugmug after spending a few hours looking at many different options.

Still can't make a decision between them though !

What do you guys n gals think ? Which site do your use / recommend ? I don't mind paying up to say US$50 p.a. if I can store my photos on there with fully protected rights (I think it is Deviant Art that denies these rights and re-assigns them to itself).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:05 AM   #2

Just to muddy the waters a little bit more, there's also Photoshop Express from Adobe, that can work directly with Photoshop, Lightroom and Photoshop Elements.

It's heavy on Flash (naturally), but it works well, and it's secure. You can see mine at http://TCav.photoshop.com.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Just to muddy the waters a little bit more, there's also Photoshop Express from Adobe, that can work directly with Photoshop, Lightroom and Photoshop Elements.

It's heavy on Flash (naturally), but it works well, and it's secure. You can see mine at http://TCav.photoshop.com.

Thanks TCav but luckily ( ) I'm on a Mac !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote