Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:08 PM   #1

Default Making money with photos.

During summer, we have a steady flow of tourists visiting our town and area.
I live in an area with a beach, some beautiful places to visit, a really nice touristic town.
I've been thinking, maybe I can make money somehow from all these tourists, they could have a nice souvenir, and i could have a few more bucks to put towards new gear

I just need some help thinking about 'How do I do it'. I have a location where I could sell, I have some nice ideas for photos that could go well, but I'm lacking the 'What exactly do I sell' part.

What size do I print, do I frame it or not...

I know it maybe sounds like I'm dreaming and getting well ahead of myself, but I really think this is a good idea. Any suggestions, thoughts, advice...I'll take all.
Ishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2010, 6:16 PM   #2

Well in thailand, the tourist operator for trips take photos of tourist on elephants at 5x7 or 6x8 and they put it into a paper frame with the event or activity.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:20 PM   #3

Brainstorm!

. The answer to the "How do i do it" question is just do it. Stick to one idea and see how it works. If it doesn't work try another idea.
. The prints should show an appreciable better IQ than a typical tourist can shot with a point and shot or even a bridge camera. Amateurs all over the world are your competition.
. Nice (and quick) portraits may need some basic background and lighting.
. You can have some landscapes and selected spots backgrounds previously shot and offer the print alone or a layered print with the tourists in it. Some pp will be needed.
. In my last travel to China there were a lot of semi pro photographers that had placed stairs or platforms at specials optimal spots. The tourists stand there, click and voilá: a perfect pick at the perfect spot.
. You can offer a quick print. Decide two or three standard sizes. You need a dedicated print for that. Bigger prints can be a mess to deal with. But you can ship bigger prints at better prices.
. Offer framing. Three frame sizes, different designs. If you give the option of framing you will get more money.
. To sell or not to sell the digital files? A dilemma.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:18 PM   #4

Postcards can sell well in tourist areas. Get some photos of places and at times the tourists aren't going to.
I make photo note cards for a couple of the country stores in my area. Some visitors use them in preference to postcards when they have more to write, or don't care to have postal employees reading their mail. They are expensive to produce in small quantities, but if you have a printer do large lots, the unit price is not bad.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:50 AM   #5

Hi,

I have a little cottage business selling note cards and matted prints to local gift shops and galleries.
I live in a high tourist area during the summer and two items that sell well are 5 x 7 note cards and 11 x 14 matted photos. The note cards do particularly well because I print only local area photos landscape, birds, sunsets/sunrises and water scenes with the emphasis on local scenes that someone can recognize the area.

As you said, when people go on vacation, they typically want to bring back home a memory of the trip. Often times, they'll stop in a gift shop and find everything is rather pricey. BUT, they notice note cards because they are affordable.

Not sure if your in the States or not but a good source for materials and supplies is Red River Paper.. They are an online vendor. I use their 7 x 10 River Linen card stock which prints beautifully out on ink jet printers and folds to a 5 x 7. The note cards come out so well that many people just frame them.

Red River sells the envelopes and cards stock, in boxes of 50. So, if you wanted to run a trial your investment would be rather low.

As for an 8.5 x 11 photo in a 11 x 14 matte; matted photos outsell framed prints 10 to one in my area. Reason being, people have to carry this all the way back home-wherever home is.
If they're flying home, matted photos fits inside a piece of luggage a lot easier than a frame.
Good Luck in your new endeavor
Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Jun 17, 2010 at 8:56 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:21 AM   #6

Just having some trouble with terminology- what's a 'matted photo', and what's a 'note card'?

I can't seem to translate it to Hebrew properly.

and thanks for the experience sharing.
Ishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:27 AM   #7

Heres a link to an example of a matte
tp://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-pre-cut-mat-roadshow-display-kits

here's a link to a note card:
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/cards...red/index.html

zig
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:54 AM   #8

Just to clear up a little: Note cards are just greeting cards without any message pre-printed. The stock I use is Avery 8315 for small cards. I am experimenting with glossy stock in larger size, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Just to clear up a little: Note cards are just greeting cards without any message pre-printed. The stock I use is Avery 8315 for small cards. I am experimenting with glossy stock in larger size, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet.

brian
Hi Brian,

For what's it worth, RedRiver.com has a sample card kit that they make available to folks interested in greeting cards stocks but not yet sure as to which would best serve their needs. I do believe they have them available in different sizes as well.
I personally, use the 7 x 10 which folds down to a 5 x 7.

Zig