Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:13 AM   #1

Default Changing lenses on DSLR cameras

This is a general question that applies to all DSLR cameras. Obviously, you need to be concerned about dust getting into the camera while the lens is off, and getting on the image sensor.

How much of a problem do those of you shooting with a DSLR consider this to be? Do you hesitate on changing lenses, or are you not even concerned about it?

I'm assuming the safe thing to do is to use the camera just like an SLR film camera, but to try to minimize any chance of letting dust get inside the camera.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:09 AM   #2

When changing lenses point the camera body downwards, so there's less of a chance dust will fall inside. And do avoid changing lenses, if at all possible, when in a windy environment, by the seashore, or in high humidity. However dust is a fact of life for current DSLR,and I usually have the sensor on my D100 cleaned about once or twice a month. You may decide you can do the cleaning yourself, but since I live nearby a Nikon service center, and the cleaning is free, I would rather not risk a mishap.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 7:03 AM   #3

Thanks! I hadn't thought about your advice of pointing the camera body downwards - good idea!
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:06 PM   #4

Default Free cleaning?

Hey marokero

The cleaning of your nikon is free? Is that because it's at a service centre, you know them, or something Nikon does for it's customers?

Anyone know if Canon does the same thing for their DSLR?
Livebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:30 PM   #5

Another suggestion I've heard (don't know if its true) is that you should turn off the camera when switching lenses. The logic is that it can reduce the static charge on the sensor that will attract the dust.

Seems a bit far fetches (static is nasty for electronics, so you'd think its design would prevent that) but it isn't a bad idea, so I do it any ways.

Its another good reason to buy lenses that slightly overlap in their ranges. It reduces some of the lens switching.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 3:00 PM   #6
Administrator

You should always turn OFF your camera when changing lenses. The main reason being is all those electrical contacts in the lens mount that get rubbed over as you twist the lens into place. You don't want current applied while doing that ...

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 7:50 PM   #7

LiveBait, I suppose the sensor cleaning service is provided free because I go to Nikon's service center in person, so no shipping charges apply. Also I believe Nikon would rather do the cleaning themselves, rather than have us return a camera with a broken anti-aliasing filter or damaged sensor.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:29 PM   #8

Steve, another great point. It's obvious now that you've said it, but it was anything BUT obvious to me five minutes ago.

I haven't read that part of the manual yet - I wonder if Nikon (and the other manufacturers) actually recommend this? It makes sense for any number of reasons, now that I'm thinking about it.

(Maybe this item should be in the DSLR area, under "general" discussions, tips, and so on?)
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:37 AM   #9

There is more to it than just the possibility of damage due to shorting out the contacts. Most cameras and lenses contain CMOS circuitry which can easily be damaged or destroyed by disconnecting while the power is turned on.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 1:14 PM   #10

It's the details like this that make it real important to READ THE DIRECTIONS. As it says in my manual, "Be sure the camera is off when removing or exchanging lenses."

.........and since most people don't read the directions until long after they start playing around with the equipment, this probably should be written as a warning, and placed in an obvious place where people can't miss it.