Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:14 AM   #1

Default what do you consider a great photo??

what is the criteria for you to say....."wow that is a GREAT shot!" also, what magazine publications would you say have the best images and turn to for inspiration?
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:25 AM   #2

I use the same criterion for lots of media: If it's a good story, well told, it's great.

I think National Geographic publishes the best photographs, and since the demise of Life Magazine, that's all there is. But I don't use it for inspiration. (I have no desire to photograph wildebeests, thank you.)

Last edited by TCav; Jun 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:46 AM   #3

i would pick up cmyk magazine from time to time but barnes and noble no longer carries it. as a traditional media artist i also pick up juxtapoz for its coverage of underground artist. i have been looking for more mainstream mags that i could pick up on newsstands regularly as B-N is a 30 minute trek from where i live. we have absolutely NO bookstores in my city (sad).

i too have no desire to photograph anything that could possibly turn me into a snack.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:08 AM   #4

I grew up in New York City. My inspiration was "New York's Picture Newspaper" the New York Daily News, though there were lots of other excellent newspapers in the City (Long Island Press stands out. The Times and the World-Telegraph were excellent papers, but weren't much for photographs.) I also remember the great photos in Life and Look magazines and Time-Life's Nature Series that my grandfather gave my sister and I as kids. And, of course, my grandmother's subscription to National Geographic.

As a teenager, I subscribed to both Popular Photography and Modern Photography, and would pick up an issue of Practical Photography (a British magazine that was sometimes available at newsstands in the City.) I would also grab issues of Camera 35 when ever I saw them.

Nothing much compares today, plus I live in the Washington, DC area, which, in trying to be all things to all people, ends up being nothing to everybody.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5

photoshop user and dpn i run thru when i can but like i said we dont have a bookstore so thats a once in a while situation. manhattan or LA would be an ideal place for me in regards to shooting. beautiful decay, how, and computer arts magazine are also some of my favs.

DC seems like it would be a great place for street photog with the political climate in that area (protests, etc.) as well as the historical attractions....
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:33 AM   #6

Washington has a lot of culture for a small town, but it's still just a small town.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Washington has a lot of culture for a small town, but it's still just a small town.
you consider washington a small town?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness View Post
i would pick up cmyk magazine from time to time but barnes and noble no longer carries it. as a traditional media artist i also pick up juxtapoz for its coverage of underground artist. i have been looking for more mainstream mags that i could pick up on newsstands regularly as B-N is a 30 minute trek from where i live. we have absolutely NO bookstores in my city (sad).
Where I live, (the middle east), photography magazines/books are few and far between imported from US/UK and the ones that they do sell (eg. Shutterbug, Digital Photography etc) arrive 2 to 4 weeks after their official realease in US/UK and they cost around $15 each ... but about a year ago I came across a website called www.zinio.com ... it allows to subscribe digital copies of these (and many more) magazines below the actual US/UK news stand price and they are delivered before they hit newstands in US/UK ... I subscribed to a whole year of Shutterbug & Popular Photography Magazines (that's 26 issues) for just $26 ... besides these, from time to time, I also buy single issues of some magazines and books that I like ... the magazines that I mentioned above might be "too basic" for your liking but you may find something that meets your higher standards ... what more, you don't have to trek 30 minutes
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters

Last edited by rienz; Jun 23, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I use the same criterion for lots of media: If it's a good story, well told, it's great.
Seconded.

If something's really great it will stop you in your tracks and make you pay attention to it. You won't walk past, scroll down or turn the page until you've really taken it all in.

What qualities of a photo deliver that is a more difficult question...
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:16 AM   #10

i will also admit that i browse my wife's vogue magazines from time to time, but dont tell anyone else.......

What qualities of a photo deliver that is a more difficult question...

can you elaborate on this??