Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2010, 6:15 PM   #1

Default One month with the Canon 7D

I'll start off by saying that I am not a professional photographer only an enthusiast who uses a Sony/Minolta system. I do not own any G lenses but have use of some of them when needed. A friend of mine has a very nice collection of Sony lenses along with 2 other camera systems.

With that being said this same friend loaned me his Canon system as he's deciding which one to sell. The Canon system includes the 7D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 70-200 f/4L IS USM, EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 1.4 TC and a Rokinon 8mm fisheye.

The 17-55 and 70-200 lenses are built like a lens should be built. No moving parts on the outside, able to manually focus any time and silent focus. I was really impressed with these lenses.

He let me use the Canon system for about a month and these are some of the things I've learned from this experience.

Canon seems to be way ahead of Sony in terms of quality and technology. And I do understand that the 7D is a newer camera then the A-700.
The 7D is a very high performance camera compared to my Sony A-700 or his A-550. The biggest difference seems to be with the auto focus system.

When you have the 7D in the 19 point AF and press the shutter down half way you can hear something in the camera quickly wind up and see the focus points appear in the viewfinder. That along with it's 8-FPS, 18mp and good high ISO leaves me hoping that Sony has taken a good close look at this camera and builds their new A-7?? to compete with it.

In terms of IQ there is not so much of a difference as you might think. The 7D seems to over expose quite a bit and was less predictable then my A-700.

There was less PP that needed to be done with the 7D. The advantage of the 18mp is you can crop more and have less of a negative effect on the end result.

The Sony in body IS and being able to use the older smaller Minolta lenses is definitely an equalizer.

Canon wins hands down for moving subjects but for everything else it is not as clear.

When comparing the IQ of each system it's nearly impossible to favor one over the other. When I look at the prints from both systems I can't say I prefer one over the other, there both excellent.

I would say the biggest difference is the ability to get the one time opportunity shot. Once you become comfortable with both systems I would believe your most likely to get that one try shot with the Canon.

If this friend decides to part with this Canon or Sony system I get the first opportunity to buy. Thats going to be a tough decision if it's the Canon. I do have some nice Minolta glass and although I could sell it to but into a new system, I don't know if I'm ready to jump ship just yet but if I am going to now might be a very good time.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:53 AM   #2

I've never used Sony sytems so can't comment. But 7D with 17-55 f/2.8 is a fantastic combo ... 70-200 f/4 too is a nice very lens ... I've been using 7D for the past few months, the more I use it the more I like ... buy the 7D, you will not be dissappointed.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Yes rienz

I agree that is a fantastic combo along with the 70-200 that will cover about 80% or more of my needs. I'm sure that I would be happy with it. I guess it will depend on the price vs the inconvenience.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4

dont get your hopes up to much - he may well descide to keep his canon gear!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
dont get your hopes up to much - he may well descide to keep his canon gear!
Yes he just might. As a matter of fact he mentioned that he's lost his patients with Sony and the release of their A-700 replacement and he's about 95% sure thats he going back to Canon.

The good thing about that is I get first shot at his Sony gear he'll be selling (a few G lenses). It maybe time to get a loan.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:08 PM   #6

7D for birds, dogs, kids, cars, atv's, motorcycles, anything in motion the 7D is on it...and it does very well with the 100-400 also...I just sent mine into Canon and they adjusted AF System (Electrical adjustments?) Cleaned and ready to roll when I get home...
I like it's weatherproof durability as we do a lot of offroading on atv's and utv's...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:30 AM   #7

I was told today that he's decided to go with the Canon system.

Now I have the option to buy his Sony 70-200 G, 70-400 G, 58 flash and a 8mm fisheye.

He's giving me a real good price but I have a wife to convince. This aint gonna be fun.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:37 AM   #8

Always better to ask for forgiveness after the fact...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote