Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:44 PM   #11

Is there any concern about a DSLR camera, the memory cards or batteries going through the x-ray machine? Hate to loose any of my vacations pics?
Mike
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:32 PM   #12

nope
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:13 AM   #13

I generally travel within the Middle East, India, Far-East and sometimes to Europe (mostly UK) and my experiance has been:

1. Tripods & Monopods were not allowed as hand baggage (everytime I tried they asked me to put it in the check-in luggage.

2. Camera, batteries (inside my external flash or camera), lenses, chargers, cables, external hard disks, memory cards, card readers etc were all allowed in hand baggage (I was never asked to remove any of these items ... but a couple of times I was asked to remove batteries which were loose i.e. not inside a camera or flash).

However, on few occassions I've had the airport security guys checking my "Bigma" 50-500mm lens ... I don't know why (maybe curiosity) ... I got a lot of second looks whenever I used the Bigma, even from young women (hope my wife isn't reading this post) ... I sold the Bigma for Canon 100-400L ... couldn't take all the attention from young women

I have stopped carrying my camera bag as hand baggage, instead I carry a wheeled briefcase with a "retractable handle" (I find it easy to drag my briefcase around than to lug a camera bag on my back or shoulder) ... I keep all my gear inside with a few clothes to act as cushion ... even though this is over the weight limit, (for hand baggage), I've never been asked to weigh it or remove anything ... I guess it has more to do with the "small looking" briefcase I carry
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters

Last edited by rienz; Jun 29, 2010 at 2:31 AM.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:02 AM   #14

From JohnG "Monopod / tripod is a grey area" It was the gray areas that had me wondering. I never found a set list saying what is and is not acceptable. Anything that could be a club or a spear should probably be checked.

As Shoturtle pointed out it can be a long walk between gates at times so anything extra that can go into a checked bag is one less thing to haul.

reinz, I have not yet decided on a bag but have two coming from a shop in Arlington I have done business with in the past.

Thank you for sharing the experiences

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Jun 29, 2010 at 4:14 AM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
anything extra that can go into a checked bag is one less thing to haul.

Steve
I generally do not like to put any of my camera gear in the checked luggage for fear of having them stolen ... I fly frequently in Asia and I don't trust some of the luggage handling guys, they either throw luggae around or steal them ... just last week mobile phone of Rahul Gandhi (quite possibly the next prime minister of India - who's got a million "Z grade" security guys around him) was stolen, by a luggage handling guy in New Delhi airport .... luggage handlers are unlikely to flick long items such as Tripods & monopods, plus they can take a few throws but lens are easier to hide and break.
But I like the idea JohnG gave i.e. "head in my camera bag and legs in the checked baggage" ... from now on I'll carry my ballhead in hand luggage.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:05 AM   #16

The tripod/monopod was what I had in mind for the checked bags. I have several tripods laying around but do not have anything from the high end with a removable head though I see one in my near future. I currently use an ancient Velbon which has always served me well but is not the most user friendly for trying to go air mobile.

Steve

How much do your bags weigh? I did not think about weight limitations. Is there a maximum allowable for carry on?

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Jun 29, 2010 at 7:52 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:10 PM   #17

With your carry on luggage you are limited to about 18-20lbs depending on the airline. And depending of the class you are flying, that could mean a total of 36-40lbs with 2 carry on luggage for first and business.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:21 PM   #18

I just got back from Alaska and hand carried my camera gear through security. My camera bag was pulled off the security line after going through the scanner. They put the camera with large L lens in a tub and rescanned the camera and bag. They said they were having trouble seeing through the gear.

I assume it just depends who is looking at the scanner because the time I accidentally had a box cutter in my carry on bag it went right through
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:52 PM   #19

I am at jfk, went though without a problem. T1i, ef 70-300, 28 1.8, 50 1.4 28-135 nada issues.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by schent1 View Post
I accidentally had a box cutter in my carry on bag it went right through
I am glad you did not get caught but this does not make me feel any better about or current security regs. I think I have it figured out.

Thank you

Steve