Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Flying with Cameras?

I have a work/vacation trip coming later this year and while I am no stranger to international flights this is my first where I plan to take a carry on full of camera gear.

Is there anything I need to know about when it comes to flying with camera equipment? Is there anything that would normally go into the bag that makes security nervous and what should I do to make the process easier?

I am not sure if this will matter but the trip is to Africa.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:54 PM   #2

maybe you can call the service of the security , but i think the department may not agree to bing such a kind of things.
cristina yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:04 PM   #3

Steve, I think you will be all right. I have provided a link to TSA, and their list of prohibited items. You will notice that loose batteries must be carried on, not checked. That's all I saw when I looked the site over. Well, that and axes and stun guns, which are permitted!

Almost forgot the link: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#9

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:17 PM   #4

Is there anything I need to know about when it comes to flying with camera equipment? Is there anything that would normally go into the bag that makes security nervous and what should I do to make the process easier?

Read TSA.gov for answers to the latest security issues and rules. I know they limited the number of battery packs one can carry

I am not sure if this will matter but the trip is to Africa.

is there a connecting flight involved and in what country as other countries have different security rules.

Steve[/QUOTE]

From experience traveling in US only In 2009 I carried a bag with 2 spare batteries, Sony A350 (battery in it and 28-300 attached), 6 memory cards, wolverine flashpack device and a 50-150mmm lens. Both ways they asked me to open the bag and remove the wolverine device asking me to remove the hard drive and put it in a tray (the way you'd do a laptop). No other issues, Also in 2008 I took a Fuji S9100 with 3 extra sets of AAs in plastic cases, 3 extra memory cards, and a 40GB USB hard drive on a trip without any issues. I even left the hard drive in the camera bag.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Thank you for the information and sharing your experiences.

With everything in the one bag it looks like the notebook has to come out and go through separately (which would most likely explain why the bag makers include a notebook sleeve with the cases). I think it is what I did not see on the NTSB site that made me wonder. I would have never thought they would let me on the plane with a tripod or monopod.

I sent an e-mail to the airline I will be using for my flights out of and back into the US for a copy of any written policies they may have but have not heard back.

Thank you again

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:07 PM   #6

Monopod / tripod is a grey area. I put mine in my checked baggage. A TSA agent could easily say that a monopod is very similar to a ski pole (which is prohibited and it isn't like the end of the pole is sharp). The one time I flew with my tripod I put the head in my camera bag and legs in the checked baggage. Again I think a monopod especially is a grey area where you might get into trouble.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:12 PM   #7

Here's betting you will need to check the tripod/monopod, unless it collapses small enough to fit into a bag you can stow overhead or fits in the bag you can slip under the seat in front of you.

I would check the tripod before anything else. My camera bag with everything always goes on the plane with me and stows under the seat in front of me. If you carry extra rechargeable batteries, you might want to just make sure the plastic protective pieces are installed to cover the contact areas.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:38 PM   #8

I flew on a domestic Canadian flight this spring with no problems. Camera with battery grip, extra lens, etc. The one thing I did do was pack my Rocket Blower in the checked luggage - its profile going through the X-ray might have caused a brief moment of concern.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:49 PM   #9

I fly to internationally quite a bit with camera gear. You are pretty good much good to go. When I do carry all my gear. I carry at T1i with the ef 70-300, mounted ef 28-135mm. At least 2 primes, and the 18-55mm and a silica pack in my camera bag. Travel tripods, battery chargers, and filters go into the check bags with. I just got back from Germany, no issues at all. With this set up with TSA flying out or coming back.

you are allow one carry on and 1 personal item on international flights. And the camera bag counts as a personal item.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:57 PM   #10

If you are making a connecting flight, you may really want to keep only the camera, lenses and battery with you. The extra gear can make the walk to the connecting flights a bit of a pain. FRA, CDG, and LHR can have some distances between the gates.