Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:28 PM   #1

Default Vacation camera bag for T1i + telephoto zoom lens

Looking for a bag to take on vacation (non-shoulder bag). Need to take 70-200 f4IS + speedlite + charger + 1 extra lens (probably 50mm prime) + misc accessories. Would like to keep the telephoto on the camera for the most part. Can anyone recommend a camera? I am looking for a bag that is comfortable to wear in the hot weather and that makes the camera easily accessible. Having the backpack feature is nice but not necessary. Holster type bag would be sufficient. I don't want the bag to be super bulky either. I was looking at the Kata H-14 and Tamron Velocity 8x. Are those good or should I be looking at something else?
gavsmompa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:35 PM   #2

they are both good bag, I have the velocity 6x for my walk around. But with what you are planning to carry, a crumpler 6 million dollar home may work nicely. You can youtube crumpler 6 million dollar home to get a good idea if it will be a good fit.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:35 PM   #3

I've been using a sling bag from Victorinix while biking and walking and it works great. Especially the load/unloading of the camera without taking the bag off my neck. anything i put down, i tend to lose. not now.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies! I already own a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home as my primary shoulder bag and while I love the bag, I don't see it as a great bag to take on this vacation, primarily because we will be doing a lot of leisurely biking. I like the small backpack idea that swings forward when needed and Kata for it's great design.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:03 PM   #5

I don't really care for Tamron's Velocity line - I found access was somewhat awkward. Tamron has come out with a bag a lot like the Kata 3N1 bags - the small one might work for you. I was really impressed with it's design, like the 3N1 bags it can be accessed from either side and you can wear it either as a sling bag or as a backpack.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:06 PM   #6

for bicycling, I would go with the kata or the tamrac. Way easier to keep on your back and not interfering with your peddling. The velocity with the waist belt is really helpful to keep it from shifting.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:21 PM   #7

Any idea of the model # on the Tamron that is like the Kata 3N1?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:28 PM   #8

the tamrac areo, not tamron.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:39 PM   #9

Sorry for the typo on the tamrac. How does the Tamrac Aero compare in size to the Kata 3n1?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:42 PM   #10

They are pretty close. The 85 is really large, with what you are bring the 75 would be a better fit as mtngal pointed out. It will not get in your way while on a bicycle. As it will stay squarely on your back.

It is very easy to mix tamrac and tamron up.