Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:27 PM   #21
BDD

JimC,

I'll test this out tomorrow when there's better light. Being as I need to have my D300 at 1/250 (minimum). As I said I do have a Lexar 300x UDMA card. Would have to dump all the photos on that card though (yes I already backed up the photos). But would have preferred to keep the photos there for an extra level of backup.

Or, I could go and buy another CF card tomorrow (300x or faster). Lexar just put out 600x cards. Not cheap. The 8GB version runs $190.00 CAD.

Hope it is the card (my 133x that's giving me problems...though you did get 5.9 FPS with the D300 you tested using my same card...so I'm sort of more inclined to think it's my settings more so than the card...again...what settings I don't know yet). If it IS the card...GREAT!
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:55 PM   #22

I just did my own test on my D90 with a SanDisk Extreme III 4.0GB SDHC Card:
  • Manual Focus
  • Manual Exposure
    • Aperture: F/4.0
    • Shutter Speed: 1/250 (so as to not interfere with continuous shooting)
    • ISO: 1600 (to give the High ISO NR something to do)
  • Continuous Shooting: High
  • Baseline: Auto D-Lighting: OFF, High ISO NR: OFF
    • 27 frames in 5 seconds = 5.4 fps
  • Auto D-Lighting: Low - High ISO NR: OFF
  • Auto D-Lighting: Normal - High ISO NR: OFF
  • Auto D-Lighting: High - High ISO NR: OFF
  • Auto D-Lighting: Extra high - High ISO NR: OFF
  • Auto D-Lighting: OFF - High ISO NR: Low
    • 13 frames in 5 seconds = 2.6 fps
  • Auto D-Lighting: OFF - High ISO NR: Normal
    • 15 frames in 5 seconds = 3.0 fps
  • Auto D-Lighting: OFF - High ISO NR: High
    • 14 frames in 5 seconds = 2.8 fps
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:57 PM   #23
BDD

TCav,

How fast is that card? 300x? Which lens were you using? Do you always have your lens set to M when shooting action (in CH/Continuous Servo) with your D90? Wondering if using AF (on lens) will always give us less FPS.

Have you tried using Dynamic AF with 3D tracking/51 pts?

I had my D300 and Kingston 16GB 133x Elite Pro card at the same settings (when in Manual mode...other times I was shooting in shutter-priority..the apterture might have been at f/2.8). Though I don't recall where the ISO was at. In some cases maybe it was at 3200. Got 27 frames once. Then later the frames dropped to around 19 or so. As I noted. Why? I don't know.

At least you proved that d-lighting doesn't affect FPS results but NR does (which I've always had OFF). So I'll leave my d-lighting set to N (normal). And test tomorrow with my 300x Lexar UDMA card. See if I can't get consistent results.

Last edited by BDD; Jul 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
How fast is that card? 300x?
The D90 uses SD (and SDHC) cards. The SanDisk Extreme III I used is a Class 6 card (30MB/s, which works out to be about 200X.)

Quote:
Which lens were you using?
I happened to have my Tokina 100-300/4.0 attached, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Do you always have your lens set to M when shooting action (in CH/Continuous Servo) with your D90?
No. I always shoot in AF. I shoot mostly sports/action, so I don't have time to focus too.

Quote:
Wondering if using AF (on lens) will always give us less FPS.
It's possible, but I rarely shoot in Continuous-High anyway, so I haven't noticed it. I usually shoot in Continuous-Low at 3 fps.

Quote:
Have you tried using Dynamic AF with 3D tracking/51 pts?
I've used Dynamic, but the D90 only has 11 AF points. That could have something to do with your D300 slowing down.

Quote:
I had my D300 and Kingston 16GB 133x Elite Pro card at the same settings (when in Manual mode...other times I was shooting in shutter-priority..the apterture might have been at f/2.8). Though I don't recall where the ISO was at. In some cases maybe it was at 3200.
I went to MF and M Mode just to eliminate the focus and exposure systems as possible causes for the lag in continuous shooting speed.

I'm happy with the 5.4 fps I can get, especially since Nikon only rates the D90 at 4.5 fps.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 6, 2010 at 4:38 AM. Reason: I usually shoot in Continuous-Low.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Reviewers have noted slower continuous shooting with both the D3000 and D5000 with it enabled. But, I don't know of anyone that's tested a D300 that way. Depending on the speed of the ASIC used for that part of the imaging processing pipeline (and Apical sells their own ASICs for it, and licenses the code for use on camera manufacturer's ASICs) , you can expect a dramatic slowdown in performance with some cameras using Apical's Iridix engine (as in the tests dpreview.com performed with the Nikon D3000).
It's interesting to note that the D5000 slows down where my D90 doesn't. I've seen discussions here where people say the two are similar enough to be interchangeable. That wouldn't affect me, since the lenses I use wouldn't autofocus on a D5000 anyway. I had suspected that the D90 focused faster than the D5000, but didn't have anything to point to. The D90 must ahve a faster processor, making the Active D-Lighting faster, and would probably make the AF faster too.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:27 PM   #26
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I've used Dynamic, but the D90 only has 11 AF points. That could have something to do with your D300 slowing down.

I'm happy with the 5.4 fps I can get, especially since Nikon only rates the D90 at 4.5 fps.
Will have to try testing with the Dynamic AF points set to 11 or 9. See if that makes a difference in my getting more consistent FPS within my 5 second test time.

As I said I did get 5.4 FPS once. Might have been using "single-point AF" and not "dynamic AF".

Will try to test today.

UPDATE (6 July 2010):

Did a series of tests using my 4GB Lexar Professional 300x UDMA card. Whether the lens was set to M/A or M I consistently got 19 shots in 5 seconds or roughly 3 FPS. Whether I had 51-points AF set or 11-points. Same thing. 3 FPS.

With my Kingston 16GB 133x Elite Pro card I consistently got 18 frames in 5 seconds. Or 3 FPS.

D-lighting ON. Set to the N setting.

So, it looks like I have something else selected on my D300 that is slowing me down big time. I'm only getting half the spec FPS. JimC said he got 5.9 FPS using a D300 and a 16GB Kingston Elite Pro card 133x. So what setting or settings is causing the slowdown? Hmmm....

Also, when I near the 4 second mark, the FPS speed slows almost to a halt. I should be getting what? 100 odd frames before slowdown is noticeable??

And when I pressed the info button on the back of the camera on the LCD display at the bottom left corner it reads 6 FPS. Does it say that all the time regardless of the settings? Because I'm only getting 3 FPS.

ANOTHER TEST...I set my D300 back to aperture-priority mode...f/5.6 & 1/30...Auto-ISO ON (don't think that has any bearing)...using Dynamic-area AF I got 20 frames in 5 sec...Single-point AF I got 19...So I'm getting an extra frame or so NOT shooting at 1/250 in either A or M??? Huh?

Last edited by BDD; Jul 6, 2010 at 8:03 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:32 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
With my Kingston 16GB 133x Elite Pro card I consistently got 18 frames in 5 seconds. Or 3 FPS.
Errrr... ummm... I think you've got your Drive Mode set to CL (Continuous Low) versus CH (Continuous High). I didn't realize it was that slow until seeing your last post.

It's supposed to shoot at 3fps when using CL drive mode, unless you've changed the setting for it in your shooting menus.

Note that you can change the fps with a custom menu setting when shooting in CL drive mode, but it defaults to 3fps (what you're getting now).

Change your drive mode to CH (Continuous High), which will automatically use 5fps without a grip attached, and/or change the fps setting in your shooting menu for CL drive mode to 5fps, and you should get 5fps until the internal buffer is full. Then, it will slow down to the speed it can write to the card you're using.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:58 AM   #28
BDD

No JimC. I was always shooting in CH mode not CL. That's what gets me. I even just did another test. Set the CL mode from the default of 3 to 6 FPS. No change. Still get 19 frames in 5 seconds (should be getting 29 to 30 frames). Shooting speed slows at around the 3 to 4 second mark. Using shutter-priority. 1/250 f/4.5 (using my 105mm macro lens..set to M/A).

I also did another test while in CL mode. This time when I set it to 3 FPS I got 15 frames (no slow down detected). 4 FPS 19 frames (close enough & no slow down in shooting speed). But when I set my camera for 5 or 6 I would get 19 as well (shooting speed slowing down at the 3-4 sec mark).

Some setting (s) are preventing me from getting the 70 odd frames (not to mention getting 6 FPS instead of only 3) before the buffer should be new full and the shooting speed begin to slow. What it is I have no idea yet. Have messaged Nikon Canada about this today. Maybe they will have the solution tomorrow.

Last edited by BDD; Jul 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:17 AM   #29
Administrator

I'd try resetting everything back to factory defaults, in case some kind of odd setting combination is causing the issue.

Your D300 has 3 separate types of Resets (including a custom menu options reset and shooting menu reset).

Search the manual for "reset", and you'll find the three different types. Note that the page numbers of the .pdf don't match up to the actual page numbers. With the Adobe Acrobat reader browser add-on, you'll need to look at the bottom of each page for the ones referred to in the table of contents, etc. If you download the manual and open it with the desktop version of Acrobat Reader, it's smart enough to go the correct pages.

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D300_en.pdf

I'd try resetting your custom settings options and shooting menu first. Then, if that doesn't make any difference, I'd try the "two button" reset.

You're sure it's behaving the same way in good light, right (brighter outdoor lighting versus typical room lighting), as lower light levels could be influencing it (with it taking longer to set metering, WB, etc.)?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:27 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Shooting speed slows at around the 3 to 4 second mark
How many frames do you get in 3 seconds? Are you getting ~15 frames in 3 seconds (5fps) before it slows down?

That sounds like you've got Active D-Lighting turned on.

I just did a quick google search, and it looks like the D300 suffers from the same issue as other cameras when using D-Lighting. Here's one example (you're only going to get around 15 frames before a slowdown with it turned on):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27353461