Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:33 PM   #31
Administrator

Yes, I see you mentioned it was set to normal when you posted your last update:

Quote:
UPDATE (6 July 2010):

Did a series of tests using my 4GB Lexar Professional 300x UDMA card. Whether the lens was set to M/A or M I consistently got 19 shots in 5 seconds or roughly 3 FPS. Whether I had 51-points AF set or 11-points. Same thing. 3 FPS.

With my Kingston 16GB 133x Elite Pro card I consistently got 18 frames in 5 seconds. Or 3 FPS.

D-lighting ON. Set to the N setting.
As I've tried to tell you, turn it off, as Active D-Lighting does impact performance with most Nikon models.

Then, your D300 should be able to take 100 photos at 5fps with your faster card unless it's defective in some way and you're not getting the throughput you should to it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:40 PM   #32
Administrator

Here's another thread on the subject. Three different posters responding mentioned that Active D-Lighting will slow down the frame rate with a D300.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28029564

Turn it off and see what you get. ;-)
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:54 PM   #33
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
How many frames do you get in 3 seconds? Are you getting ~15 frames in 3 seconds (5fps) before it slows down?

That sounds like you've got Active D-Lighting turned on.

I just did a quick google search, and it looks like the D300 suffers from the same issue as other cameras when using D-Lighting. Here's one example (you're only going to get around 15 frames before a slowdown with it turned on):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27353461
I do have d-lighting on. But I did a test (as a noted above) with it on and off. No change in the number of frames within 5 seconds.

How many frames do I get in 3 seconds? Might test later.

Doing a total reset sounds like a great idea. Hope that works.

Will post again.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:01 PM   #34
Administrator

Did you test your Lexar 300x card with D-Lighting turned off, too? You should be able to get 100 photos at ~5fps without a slow down shooting JPEG Fine in CH drive mode with a card that fast, as long as Active D-Lighting is turned off and your shutter speeds are fast enough in good lighting.

See what you get with it before jumping to any conclusions, making sure you're testing in good light (not indoor lighting). I'd also format the card using the camera's menu choice for format before testing it.

Note that some Kingston Elite Pro CF cards have been known to have compatibility issues in some cameras, depending on the card model and version. But, I'd still expect more than 15 photos from one with D-Lighting turned off unless it's real slow (although that wouldn't surprise me with a Kingston card, as they're on my avoid list when buying memory cards for my cameras, since I've seen some serious problems reported with performance using them in some cameras before).

So, I'd see how your Lexar card performs with D-Lighting turned off before jumping to any conclusions.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:49 PM   #35
BDD

JimC,

Did the "2 button reset". Did a test. With d-lighting on I got 18 or 19 frames within 5 seconds. Turning it off...I got 29 FRAMES!! Yahoo!! So your information was correct after all. Wonder why TCav got conflicting results with his D90 w/ or w/o d-lighting.

All is well on my end again. And I got this result using my 300x Lexar card btw. Don't know if I'll still get 29 frames using my 16GB Kingston 133x card. Will test again later another day.

Thanks for suggesting the reset. Don't know why I didn't think of it. LOL!! It was some setting (or settings) after all that kept me down to 18-19 frames (within 5 sec).

On to other things...
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:10 PM   #36
Administrator

I don't know, unless Nikon used a faster ASIC in the D90 (as it is a newer camera compared to your D300).

But, performance degradation with the Apical Iridix engine is well documented with a variety of camera models. That makes comparisons more difficult, since some manufacturers like Sony leave it enabled by default with their dSLR models (skewing performance test results compared to camera models that have it disabled by default like your D300).

In any event, the Apical dynamic range optimization engines used by Nikon (and other manufacturers like Sony and Olympus) will impact performance with most cameras, as the Apical engines use relatively sophisticated algorithms that require a lot of processing power.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:21 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
And I got this result using my 300x Lexar card btw
That's still not would I would expect from that card, as you should be able to take 100 photos at approximately 5fps without a slow down with a card that fast, if you're shooting JPEG Fine with Active D-Lighting turned off in good light.

Did that card come from a reputable vendor (as there are a lot of counterfeit cards around now, with labels attached that make them appear to be better name brand cards)?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:29 PM   #38
BDD

Certainly looks that way JimC. Will make sure I disable d-lighting if I want 6 FPS (in my case 5.8 or 29 frames/5 sec). With d-lighting I'll expect roughly 3.8 FPS. And when all else fails...RESET!

Sometimes you end up changing settings to what you think might serve you better may add up over time. Not knowing these changes would impact the performance of other features.

Of course trying to get factory spec performance is not always attainable if not setup close (or exactly) to the way the company had it in the lab. They always set up their products so that they can eek out the best performance under lab conditions so they can brag about it on spec sheets (e.g. DSLRs, electronics, cars...etc.). So if the real world FPS for a D300 is 5.8 or 5.9...I'm happy!!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:34 PM   #39
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That's still not would I would expect from that card, as you should be able to take 100 photos at approximately 5fps without a slow down with a card that fast, if you're shooting JPEG Fine with Active D-Lighting turned off in good light.

Did that card come from a reputable vendor (as there are a lot of counterfeit cards around now, with labels attached that make them appear to be better name brand cards)?
Reputable vender. Hmmmm...maybe a shop where it would be possible they could be selling fakes. It was a Chinese owned shop (no offense to Chinese people of course). Packaging looked to be on the up and up. (shrug)

Don't know how many frames I can get. Just stopped pressing at the 5 second mark. Perhaps if I'm bored one day I'll see how many frames I get before I notice slowdown. As it is now at 5.8 FPS I'm happy.

I wonder if there would be any difference if I had one of the new Lexar 600x cards. Hmmmm....
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:37 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
So if the real world FPS for a D300 is 5.8 or 5.9...I'm happy!!
I personally tested one and got approximately 5.95 fps with a 133x 16GB Kingston Elite Pro CF Card (22 frames in 3.7 seconds before a slowdown). That's close enough to the advertised 6 fps. ;-)

With a faster Sandisk Extreme IV card, I didn't see any slowdown at all, getting 6.1 fps for 65 photos before I stopped shooting (and it should go to 100 photos with no problems with a fast card, as Nikon has a 100 photo limit using Continuous Drive mode for some reason).