Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:59 PM   #21

Luisr...... interesting, so the camera really must be looking at the scene and optimising compression. So if you do have detail in a night shot, does it still come out ok without softening, artefacts or 'puddling' in pastels and uniform colour parts of a pic? It all sounds very economical on flash cards if the quality holds up. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 8:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisr
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Just a couple of observations. If the file sizes are varying from 250K to 1 Mb, then the camera must be making some pretty hard decisions on criticality of scene detail and how much compression to use.
A night shot with lots of nothing but black sky will come out at 200-300 KB in size. A daytime shot with lots of detail will be larger than 1 MB at the same resolution.
I would say it made some incorrect assumptions on image 100_1995. After hearing the specs on the Kodak camera's I'm surprised people complain about the 300d not being customizable enough

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte
I would say it made some incorrect assumptions on image 100_1995. After hearing the specs on the Kodak camera's I'm surprised people complain about the 300d not being customizable enough
I would say not the camera, but the JPEG algorithm instead. For comparison purposes, check the sample pictures right here in Steve's Digicams for the DX4330 (which I believe is the nearest cousing resolution-wise given that there is no review for the DX6340) http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...0_samples.html and see the file sizes of the most detailed images. They are typical of what I get myself (DUH! same camera :lol: ).

About that particular picture, (100_1995) I agree with you to some extent.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote