Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:07 AM   #1

Default Advice Photographing the Pyramids at Giza

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the world of DSLR having just purchased a Canon 450d with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses.

Now i find myself on a trip the Pyramids in Giza, Egypt.

Could anybody please advise on accessories like filters, or a different lens i should purchase before i travel and any tips you may have for shooting such a landscape.

Many Thanks

Dave
kingyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:20 AM   #2

The 75-300 isn't very good, and you may have some problems with chromatic aberration when shooting in high contrast situations like that. The Canon 70-300 IS USM and the 55-250 IS are better choices, plus they're stabilized. A Circular Polarizing filter might be a good idea as well, but it should be a good one. A cheap filter can cause problems.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyd View Post
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the world of DSLR having just purchased a Canon 450d with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses.

Now i find myself on a trip the Pyramids in Giza, Egypt.

Could anybody please advise on accessories like filters, or a different lens i should purchase before i travel and any tips you may have for shooting such a landscape.

Many Thanks

Dave
Welcome to the forum. You have everything you need to
take good pictures. The 18-55mm is a fairly good lens for
landscape shots. I'm sure you don't need any general
advice like keep your horizon level, use a tripod if you
have one etc....

You can expect very bright sun at this time of year. Take
care with your exposures. Take a few shots at different
settings. If in doubt, use exposure bracketing. If you do
feel the need to buy something, a circular polariser would
be my first choice. As for buying a different lens, that is a
bigger purchase decision. A high quality wide angle lens
or a zoom lens of better quality than the 18-55mm would
be nice, but good one are quite expensive. I think the
kit lens will be quite adequate. Take a few landscape
shots now. This will show you what kind of results you
can expect when you get to Egypt and a little bit of
practice never hurts.

Enjoy the trip. Don't forget to come back here and show
us some of your photos.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
A Circular Polarizing filter might be a good idea as well
Bah! Beaten to the draw by TCav again!
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:52 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree about the 75-300, if you are going t want a longer lens I would really consider following TCav's advice. Also the advice about the polariser is a good one and the lighting is usually very strong here in Egypt (drives me crazy) and can often be very flat and washed out with dust in the air until you get closer to your subject.

How long until you are heading over as if it is soon you are going to melt with the temperature, it's pretty hot in Cario sticking around about 100 deg F and in the next few weeks will go up a lot more.

I would aim for a Friday morning trip to the pyramids as this is the most quiet time as Friday morning is prayers for Muslims so the roads are peaceful and the main sights are less busy as well.

Other local advice, don't take a long camel ride, it will kill you after about 30 mins
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:57 AM   #6

Hi again, and thanks for the advice........

We will be in Egypt mid August for 2 weeks, mostly in Taba but my wife has planned a couple of days in Giza and maybe a couple in Jerulsalam.

I was planning to spend 250 - 300 in the next few weeks on some new equipment for the trip, as i'm in sinigapore during this time i hoping my pound will buy a bit more than the in the UK.

I will, definitely, go with a circular polarizing filter, but regarding the lens my question is 'Is the 55-250 IS lens that much better than the 75-300 i already have?' The new cost prices are very siimilar, (the 75-300 i have was part of a twin lens kit, i didn't buy it).

The impossible question is should i invest in another zoom lens or should go with what i have and purchase something in a different range maybe 50mm prime lens.

Sorry for all the questions........your opinions are appreciated!!!

Dave King

I will come back and post some pictures.
kingyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7

The 75-300 is really not very good, which is typical of lenses in that range (zoom and price.) In that environment, you're likely to get a lot of extremes in lighting (bright light and dark shadows) and the flaws in that lens will be apparent. I think it would be a shame to have photos from that trip be any less than as good as they can be. Both the 55-250 IS and the 70-300 IS USM would be improvements.

Try for yourself. Take your 75-300 out in some bright sunlight and shoot some high-contrast images. If you see it where you are, you'll really see it in Egypt.

For touristy things, primes can be tough. You won't usually have much opportunity to set up a shot, so having to zoom with your feet will be a hindrance. But if you'll have opportunities to shoot indoors where you can't use a flash, the Canon 50/1.8 wouldn't be a bad idea.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:02 PM   #8

With that bright sun you might want to throw on a ND filter. Its a new camera, so between now and when youre standing in front of the pyramids practice practice practice and get to know every part on your camera. Iron out any problems before you get there.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote