Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:26 AM   #1

Default A bit off topic - Glasses

Hey All,

Anyone know of a good site(s) to review lens options for glasses? Brands of lenses, quality, etc. I'll do some searching but if anyone knows specific site(s) that would be great.

Contacts unfortunately have been uncomfortable lately. Sitting in front of a computer all day doesn't help either

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:28 AM   #2

Do a search for lens manufacturers. Two that come to mind are Sola and Varilux. Also look for American Optimetric Association.

I used to work for a company that produced software for eyeglass laboratories but, unfortunately I don't remember brand names of lenses.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:38 AM   #3

Hi Calr,

Yes, just started to look at actual manufacturers. The optical shop in this building has Nikon lenses, I had no idea Nikon made lenses for glasses. The top-end nikon lens called "Ice" is $450 Canadian ...a tad much ;-)

Thanks for the reply,
koruvs
-
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:23 PM   #4

Well, I moved from contacts to glasses today. I must say things look a bit sharper though my perscription did change (a bit).

I have Nikon lenses so does that mean I see in CMYK now ? :lol: :lol:
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:05 AM   #5

Default A bit off topic - Glasses

I specifically registered to respond to you about your problem with contacts. I just got over an episode of swollen corneas. I wanted to make you aware of this in case this was happening to you.

I wear soft contacts. I am at a computer all day long. My vision with contacts started becoming blurry. It wouldn't go away. I would put my contacts in the morning and within an hour and a half my vision would be blurry. At times it was worse in one eye than the other.

I found out that I was over wearing my contacts and that my corneas had swollen badly. My eyes were very sensitive to light and I would have trouble taking my contacts out and putting them in.

After being out of my contacts three weeks my eyes healed. The problem resolved with no further effects. My vision cleared up again.

I now only try to wear my contacts not more than 12 hours per day. I try to take them out a couple of hours before sleeping at night so that my eyes may breathe. Even though your contacts are out while sleeping your eyes still do not get the oxygen they need because your eyes are closed.

Good luck. I hope that you get your eye problem resolved.

I have been following this forum for about a month. I found it when I was researching purchasing a digital camera. I ended up having Santa bring me the Canon G3 for Christmas. Haven't used it yet. Reviewing the forum, I like the comraderie that I see amongst the photographers.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Or, if your prefer a very Happy Holidays to you.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:14 PM   #6

Redbird, that is so true what you are saying. Another point is the climate in front of computer screen is quite dry. A normal crt monitor is also kind of magnet with dust some is pulled some is bounced off. Staring for hours at such device can even give a healthy eye various minor problems. If you notice such go to an eye doctor , (s)he knows exactly what kind of eye drops you need.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:16 PM   #7

Hi Redbird,

I had an exam and my eyes are fine. My current job that I have had for 3.5 years is sitting in front of a computer screen all day. I just need a change as lately even disposible contact dry up half way through the day. Glasses, in the long run are cheaper anyway...just like digital cameras ;-)
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:22 AM   #8

Koruvs,
Glad to hear that everything checked out okay on exam with your eyes.

You may still need to keep drops handy to wet your eyes. I noticed while I was wearing my glasses that the air and my eyes were dry and I was constantly rewetting my eyes.

I understand about your job. I am in front of a computer all day. I work in IT. It is a great ancillary benefit to my interest in photography and especially digital photography.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Redbird
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote