Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:45 PM   #1
BDD

Default Color curves

What makes a color curve a color curve? Is it more than adjusting a few in-camera picture control (Nikon) settings? (e.g. Sharpening to 4, Saturation to 2..etc.) Must you use software like Nikon's "Picture Control Utility" program to create a curve?

If it can be done just by setting in-camera Picture Control curves what are the settings to simulate Fuji's Velvia?

What is the default picture control settings for Standard? I think saturation was 0 as was hue. Sharpening 3?

What about neutral?

Last edited by BDD; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:41 AM   #2

There are any number of different ways to adjust the color curve of an image in post processing. Nikon's Picture Control Utility alllows you to select a custom picture control in the camera. And what you're describing is a lot more complex that just the the basic controls in the menu, but things that can't be accomplished, or can't be accomplished as well, in the camera. That's why you must run Nikon's Picture Control Utility on your computer in order to create one.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:32 AM   #3
BDD

Ok. Guess the best way is the obvious way. Which is to use software like PC Utility, create a color curve there and import it into the camera. Luckily my "Copy to camera" option is still enabled (my "copy to card" is not still...since I copied 3 NCP files onto my CF card using my Mac...my D300 doesn't see the NCP files...guess I should have used a Windows based computer like every one else).
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:26 AM   #4

What you're talking about is a very esoteric method of doing something that can be done much more easily in post processing.

Do you have something in mind for which this is likelty to be the best solution?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5
BDD

Sure doing this via PP is better. I mean I can always buy Alien Skin's Exposure program that simulates a boat load of popular film types. It's just that I noticed some D300 owners had downloaded color curves (e.g. Fuji's Velvia) so I thought why not? I could select it as my Picture Control style. Not needed to buy software or find out the settings to create it myself with Picture Control Utility.

Now that my "copy to card" command is disabled...guess I would have to go the software route IF I still want the Velvia look. Of course I would still like to find out how to ENABLE "copy to card" again. So far no one knows the solution. Not even Nikon Canada. Forum members (so far). Professional photographers.