Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWest View Post
Ordo's right, the method of digitalizing is probably the first problem. Projecting on a screen then photographing is means a huge amount of photo data will be missing, and it can produce a irreversible flat, drab effect (like grabbing clips from a movie in a theater with a camcorder). You will likely find most or all of your problems a lot easier to solve if you use a different method of capturing them. I would suggest a high-res flatbed scanner - you'll get fairly pleasing results, and with a decent comp, you can scan several at once at a high resolution.
Yes JWest, you and Ordo are right. I'll see what is available out there. Over the years I have accumulated 3 scanners! Thanks.

www.apperley-art.com
riki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:35 AM   #12

If you are digitizing slides I recommend the slide copier that fits on the camera lens like a filter. You just change slides and click. A nice bright blue sky will give you even lighting. Its pretty quick once you have determined your fstop and shutter speed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/55mm-52mm-Slide-...item3eff25d3c1

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
If you are digitizing slides I recommend the slide copier that fits on the camera lens like a filter. You just change slides and click. A nice bright blue sky will give you even lighting. Its pretty quick once you have determined your fstop and shutter speed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/55mm-52mm-Slide-...item3eff25d3c1
Thanks Bynx. I have been reading about slide copiers and apparently while you can get decent results with a slide copier and camera, a slide scanner is more reliable and easier to setup, obtain consistently excellent results.

The Veho seems a good buy: http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...665&Sku=168043

But the illustrated slide holders are for rectangular slides and my slide mounts are square, 50x50mm.

www.apperley-art.com
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:25 AM   #14

I have a slide/film strip copier similar to the Veho. I dont recommend it. The quality is pretty poor. Very grainy and flat. It cost a hundred bucks from Walmart. The one that I suggest is consistent and easy as screwing on a filter. Ive used them in the past and found them very good. Of course if your slides are very contrasty or have other problems you only get out what you put in. In a lot of cases Photoshop can save the day. I even made my own recently but I want to buy one. Only problem is no stores sell them here in the Toronto area. Seems the internet is the only place you can buy things these days.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
I have a slide/film strip copier similar to the Veho. I dont recommend it. The quality is pretty poor. Very grainy and flat. It cost a hundred bucks from Walmart. The one that I suggest is consistent and easy as screwing on a filter. Ive used them in the past and found them very good. Of course if your slides are very contrasty or have other problems you only get out what you put in. In a lot of cases Photoshop can save the day. I even made my own recently but I want to buy one. Only problem is no stores sell them here in the Toronto area. Seems the internet is the only place you can buy things these days.
There is also the Ion, a more expensive slide scanner: http://www.ionaudio.com/slides2pc

However, I'll bear in mind what you've told me. Will your slide copier fit a Sony W350 digi camera? Does it fit any camera? Telescopic lens or not?

www.apperley-art.com
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:59 AM   #16

Since it screw on your camera like a filter and there are two sizes 52mm and 55mm then you use step up or step down rings to fit. You can also add filters between the camera and the copier for any special effects you want to add like star bursts off lights etc. or color shifts. All sorts of things.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Since it screw on your camera like a filter and there are two sizes 52mm and 55mm then you use step up or step down rings to fit. You can also add filters between the camera and the copier for any special effects you want to add like star bursts off lights etc. or color shifts. All sorts of things.
From what I have read, a slide copier would not fit to my digi camera nor any screw-on accessories like filters, etc. so I'll have to look for a slide scanner.

www.apperley-art.com
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:13 AM   #18

Quote:
You will likely find most or all of your problems a lot easier to solve if you use a different method of capturing them. I would suggest a high-res flatbed scanner - you'll get fairly pleasing results, and with a decent comp, you can scan several at once at a high resolution.
That's my conclusion JWest, after much research. It's all pointing to an Epson scanner like the V300.

I have been reading about slide scanners/different types of slides and my 126 Kodachrome slides (which are 26.5x26.5mm viewable and in 50x50mm or 2x2" mounts) would not really be 100% compatible with a 35mm slide scanner. The aperture of a slide scanner is for 35mm film (36.8mm x 25.1mm) and therefore about 1.45mm would be cropped from the top and bottom of these 126 slides.

An Epson flatbed scanner seems to be the best option for a Linux system.

www.apperley-art.com
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:18 AM   #19

Why not a flatbed scanner? I haven't had good experiences with slide scanners. Maybe it's just the one's I've dealt with, but they were all low-res and poor color reproduction. I would recommend the Epson Perfection line - I had the privilege of using an Epson Perfection 2580 recently, and the image quality and color reproduction was stunning. There are newer models in the line, including the V500 at 6400 DPI, or 300 DPI at 21x magnification.

Edit: Lol, how ironic. I didn't realize you were in the process of replying - started typing my reply before you posted.

Last edited by jWest; Jul 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Why not a flatbed scanner? I haven't had good experiences with slide scanners. Maybe it's just the one's I've dealt with, but they were all low-res and poor color reproduction. I would recommend the Epson Perfection line - I had the privilege of using an Epson Perfection 2580 recently, and the image quality and color reproduction was stunning. There are newer models in the line, including the V500 at 6400 DPI, or 300 DPI at 21x magnification.

Edit: Lol, how ironic. I didn't realize you were in the process of replying - started typing my reply before you posted.
Yes, amazing coincidence! Thanks for your help JWest.

www.apperley-art.com