Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:27 AM   #41
BDD

Just noticed www.newegg.ca is selling Cyberpowerpc. Why do PC's these days have "start up drives"? WHy not just the 1 drive?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16883229192

The first reviewer of this model said he needed more than a 30GB start drive because he is running CS5 video editing program. Would I need to upgrade this drive to a larger size if I just ran CS5 for photo editing/manipulation later. I will mostly be using LR. Maybe 95% of the time.

Thanks.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:41 AM   #42
Administrator

The idea is to use the SSD to improve read performance for starting Windows, loading programs, speeding up access to libaries used by programs, etc. Then use different drives for your data.

By splitting I/O between more than one drive, that can help substantially for multiple reasons, and lets the OS access more than one at the same time, giving better bandwidth, without needing to move drive heads back and forth between program files and data files. Of course, with an SSD, drive head movement is not a factor.

Many users prefer to use several drives for Photoshop... one for Windows and Program files, one for scratch space (and a faster drive can help there), and another for data (image files, etc.).

30GB is a bit on the small side, depending on what you use the SSD for (number of programs you install, etc.). I'd probably go 128GB if budget permits. The Intel drives are considered to be pretty reliable.

Note that the machine you're mentioning is using the Core i7 975x. That's not a 6 core CPU. If you want 6 cores, you'll need to look at the Core i7 970 or Core i7 980x. But, you're not going to see a huge difference in performance for most purposes. See some CS4 benchmarks here:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/30

Personally, I'd probably go with something like a Core i7 930 for more "bang for the buck", as the top of the line CPUs are a bit pricey for the increase in performance you get with most apps.

Right this minute, cyberpower is offering the Core i7 940 at the same price as the Core i7 930 with some of their systems.

Of course, you'll need to decide how much your time is worth to determine if the price difference is worth it. But, I usually don't buy the "latest and greatest" setup, since the price increase is usually a lot more than the increase in performance you get when comparing CPU cost.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:16 PM   #43
BDD

Ok thanks again JimC. I guess I'll have a SSD installed in addition to 1 large drive (probably 1 2TB drive...can later buy a DROBO). Seems to be a new trend in computing. Or one that is being marketed more lately. In all my years of owning PC's I've never setup a SSD.

Local shop is selling CyberpowerPC computers. But I will either get one made by some good mom/pop shop or buy a Dell.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote