Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:12 PM   #1

Default Help picking a photography class...

Hi, I need your opinions, pls. I really want to learn more about photography, esp. digitial photography. I also want to learn how to use photoshop to make these pics the best they can be. I found two classes near me, one is for photography 101 (concentrates on 35mm SLR's) and another is for photoshop 7.0 (i have element 2.0). Do you think I would get anything from either of these courses? Do you have any alternative suggestions? Let me know if I can give you additional info.

What I *really* want is a 1:1 tutor who knows my camera (canon A80) and can teach me how to use it. I also want to learn more about basic photography (i.e., what the heck is ISO really and how do I use it?; lighting, flash etc.). Do any of you live in the Cleveland, OH area? Well, anyway, thanks and I would appreciate any type of info/suggestions you could give me.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 8:23 PM   #2

I don't live in Cleveland, so I can't help you there.

There are differences between Element and PS 7. you will learn stuff from the class, but some things will not be available to you and that could be frustrating.

I don't know the A80, but I took a quick look at the specs of it. It has manual, Aperture & shutter priority modes, along with full Program. This covers all the modes that a SLR has (I'm igoring the "Image zone" that the A80 has, 'cause that just automates settings that you could have set yourself. They are nothing special, just aids.) The downside is that you won't be able to exchange lenses, use teleconverters (a TC which front mounts is not the same as one that fits between the lens & body), filters (unless you can mount them to the A80 with a tube?)

So there are certainly things the Photo 101 class can teach. And even if some doesn't apply to you now, being exposed to that information isn't a bad thing. I guess I'd lean towards that, but I'm sure you'd learn from both.

There certainly are people who teach 1 on 1 classes in all major cities. Cleveland is a big enough city that I bet there are dedicated photography stores there. You might find one had advertisements for someone to teaches classes. The problem will be finding someone who is good.

Eric

ps. As I'm sure others will tell you, there are many good web sites with information on them, that might work just as well as a basic photography class. If you have the motivation, it's certainly a cheaper way to do it.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 8:56 PM   #3

Default Re: Help picking a photography class...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytude
.. one is for photography 101 (concentrates on 35mm SLR's) and another is for photoshop 7.0 ...
I am sure you could learn usefull stuff in either of those, depends on your interests and how good the teacher is.

Which ever you do, don't forget about the libraries and art galleries in your area. The classic books by folks like Adams, Weston, ... are still worth reading. The issues (f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, composition, color, ...) are the same for any kind of camera. The solutions are not always the same, most notably, digital vs chemical "darkroom". Those books also have some of the best photos ever made as illustrations.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:02 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. Well, I found a course that sounds great, but it is in Columbus (appropriately titled Dig. Photography 101). I have tried doing tutorials and reading online info. That doesn't work for me. Before becoming a domestic goddess (AKA stay at home mom), I was a teacher. I know my own learning style pretty well (hands on). Plus, reading & going to art galleries is difficult right now (in flu season with an 18 mos. old and 6 mos. old). Whew! Additionally, I thought a class would be a nice "break". I'm still going to call some more places. Also, we have the Cleveland Institute of Art here. Maybe they could recommend something??? The more questions I ask, the more confused I become. Is that normal? ops: Thanks for your input!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:05 AM   #5

Confusion is not surprising in the beginning. People think that the camera works like your eye, but it doesn't. So they go in with ideas that turn out not to be true.

Feel free to ask questions here. There are many knowledgeable people here who are very willing to ask a well directed question.

Also, feel free to experiment with the camera you have. It only costs you a little electricity. And you've got two great subjects to take pictures of! (Realize that that the shutter lag in your camera will make action photos a litte hard, but the rest should work well.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote