Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:00 PM   #21

If the ceiling is white, and not too high, you will probably get best looking pictures if you angle the flash at one step less than straight up. This will diffuse the light and fill in a lot of otherwise annoying shadows. If the flash has a catch light card, pulling it out will give enough reflection to get nice reflected highights in eyes.
If you are outside, or in a place with high ceilings, use direct flash and the pull-out diffuser (if it has one). Have spare batteries for the camera and flash, and enough memory cards. Good Luck!

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:42 PM   #22
Super Moderator

It's a good flash so that's great.

As has been said, play around with it at home. I would go for a manual exposure for all but the flash when indoors and have it so that you are about 1 stop below ambient. To do this see what shutter speed but using aperture priority mode and dialing in f5.6 (assuming you didn't change from the kit lens) and ISO 1600 (perfectly fine to use). Lets assume you get 1/20s, That being the case then go with manual exposure f5.6 ISO 1600 and 1/40s. This is quite slow so don't shoot when people are running about, jumping up and down etc, but as it's a wedding you should be fine.

If you found the shutter speed to be much lower than 1/20 with ambient then push to ISO 3200 but I think you will find that you are fine in most churches. If it is daytime then you might only need ISO 800 and get a faster shutter speed, if so this is great. Oh, get to the church early and shoot family members to make sure that you know the settings for when they B&G arrive as you will likely be outside prior to this so will have used other settings. Another thing, in the church use the flash with the catchlight card out and the flash at 45 degrees, this will give a bit more of a splash or flash then over powering. I do this outdoors too, even with no ceiling as long as I'm not over too much of a distance.

The golden rule when we have good light is naturally light first, then reflected then flash. There is nothing worse than shots the are just totally flashed.

If you are doing outdoors shots in daylight and want some fill flash then use aperture priority and I would go with f6.3 which will give enough DOF for groups on the 18-55 lens. Set an ISO that will give you a shutter speed of less than 1/200s and more than 1/60s, this is a good balance with keeping within the shutter sync speed and not getting camera shake. If you have very bright sun you might find that at f6.3 you can't get the shutter speed at 1/200s (you will see all your shots over exposed), in which case for ease go to shutter priority and then dial in 1/200s. The camera will then stop the lens down more.

Again, don't flash unless you need to, but if the sun is high and you have nasty shadows it is worth it.

At this wedding, I was allowed to use flash but to get a better feel of the church and also to be less distracting I chose not to use it apart from the signing of the register. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzxG1F98ajE It might give you some shot ideas too although it is just a short clip telling a quick overview of the day.

White balance, shoot flash white balance all day, unless you go for no flash in church in which case use the best option for the church lights. Even if you are shooting no flash outdoors use the flash white balance, it will give a nice film feel to the shots, also it will give you colour consistency which is important. Shoot RAW, this will eat memory but worth it when you are trying to sort out colours in the church and also if you blow the exposure at some points you can get it back more easily. Shooting with the 5DmkII and 7D at a full wedding (church, reception etc) I can get through 30-40Gb of memory.

Batteries have been mentioned but worth mentioning again for not only the flash but also the camera, you might need 2 batteries depending on how much you shoot, I've never used my 500D for a wedding to know how many shots I get.

I think that's it for now.

Oh, cover the basic shots first then be creative if you have time.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:47 PM   #23
Super Moderator

OK, I really should have read your first post again, saw it is indoors only, but still, you might want the outdoors part another time so still is true

Make sure you post some of the shots.

Ah, with the focus points, use centre point only and also make sure you are in single focus, not AI focus or AI servo.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:19 AM   #24

Good Luck, please post some of your results x

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:43 AM   #25

After reading all this look forward to seeing the final work.
BiGTooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:59 PM   #26

I would just to the best you can and take the pictures for lords sake you can do it! You take a load of shots bring it all home go through them pull the ones worth printing up and move on up lord cant afford a beer and some one offers you a chance to gain a few more...Memories for the family albums ,smiles of all there mishaps etc.... JUST DO IT and leave the regrets behind... Have a good time doing it as well..... I would with just what I have you can make the best of it lord remembering the time I tried using pan lids as a extra lighting the most silver and cheap too! don't let me you have no lids for the pans! try Foil wrapped cardboard..... shining side out one side the other the other side out 2 different types of lighting that are even more cheaper! Cardboard one can get at the grocers for nothing foil can be found for $1.00 each box with 25 sq ft of extra flash heat covering ... lord remember when the lens could be swabbed down with Vaseline on the sides to add that one affect that makes it look dreamy... or some colored clear wrap as well covering the lens to add interest..... Think man just think!....... Be creative!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:20 AM   #27
Banned

Yes i completely agree with TCav suggestion. It's a really wonderful idea giving by him and also great gift by your side.

Last edited by Mark1616; Sep 2, 2010 at 2:53 AM.
aaronsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:55 AM   #28
Super Moderator

This thread seems to attract spammers from India, this is the 2nd I've banned so far for posting advertising spam, this one using a link in their signature. Anyone spotting spam please let me know.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.