Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:56 AM   #1
BDD

Default Image quality and color spaces.

I've been reading a book by Joe McNally called Hot Shoe Diaries. In this book he says he prefers Adobe RGB and to shoot in RAW always. I assumed set at the same time (Adobe RGB + RAW).

Yet, I read on a thread at Luminous Landscapes, that Adobe RGB only affects JPG. True? And if true then when shooting in RAW our cameras should always be set to the sRGB color space?
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:05 AM   #2

When shooting Raw, it really doesn't matter, as you will decide the color space when you save the developed photo. If you shoot Raw + jpeg, as some do, then you could set to sRGB, have your jpeg in that, and develop the Raw to aRGB.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:48 AM   #3
BDD

What did you mean by we would decide the color space when we save the photo? I read on that same thread (written by this same guy), that if you are shooting RAW and the camera is set to the Adobe RGB color space you're at the mercy of what the camera firmware has done to the file. That most of the data no longer exists.
Wayne Fox (Luminous Landscape forum member) said this:
If you are shooting in RAW, you are not shooting in a color space at all. The adobeRGB setting on the camera only affects Jpegs. Just because you choose to have the camera render an 8bit AdobeRGB jpg along with storing the raw data while you shoot doesn't mean you are shooting in AdobeRGB. And if you were then ... you're pretty much stuck with what the camera firmware decided to do with your raw data, since most of the data no longer exists. meaning post processing will be a crap shoot at best.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:30 AM   #4

The first part of the statement is correct - Raw does not have a color space - it has all the data the camera is capable of capturing. When you process the Raw file, you have to choose what color space to save it in, whether as jpeg, tiff, or some other format. You would only lose data if you shot in jpeg only. If you want to preserve as much as possible, then you should save as a 16 bit .tiff format.
The last part of the satement, about being stuck with the camera firmware, would only apply if he is talking about saving as jpeg from the camera.

brian
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:55 AM   #5
BDD

VTphotog,

I'm using Apple's iPhoto right now. So when shooting in RAW I can set it to save in the 16-bit TIFF format. Which I had unchecked in the Preferences menu. And without selecting any option it looks like the edited file is saved as a JPG.

LR=ProPhoto RGB.

What I don't get is why a pro like Joe McNally would recommend (in his book Hot Shoe Diaries) shooting in Adobe RGB AND RAW. Isn't it one or the other? Adobe RGB + JPG or just shoot in RAW set to either color space (as RAW has no color space so it wouldn't matter)?

Last edited by BDD; Jul 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:59 PM   #6

The reason may be that some, or most Raw interpolation software reads the camera settings for color space and WB, and uses them as the default settings. It would take less time to post process if you didn't have to change them.

brian