Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2003, 2:19 PM   #1

Default Card reader use

I am usuing a Kodak USB Picture Card Reader on a Windows XP Professional OS. I have the latest driver from Kodak installed.

When I click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the system tray and remove the card from the card reader, I have to unplug the reader and reinsert the cable into the USB port before I can read another card. Is there a way to safely eject the card and reinsert another card without having to unplug the card reader and plug it in again?
wpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 3:04 PM   #2

You only need to "remove hardware" to remove the card reader from the computer, even then I'm not sure you need to (I never do). You can replace the card in the reader like you would a floppy or cd.
Michael Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:28 AM   #3

I am not sure why you even need a driver. I have a Dazzle card reader under Windows XP and I never installed a driver. Just plugged it in and there it was as a removable drive. Also I insert and remove the memory card without doing anything else, just like you would a floppy drive or a CD.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 1:16 PM   #4

Default Drivers

Since it is a USB device, you shouldn't even need the Kodak drivers (especially with XP Pro). At work, we routinely use USB readers & CF cards to carry documents & presentations while travelling. They plug into Macs & XP machines & are recognized as another drive with no problem. If I were you, I would uninstall the Kodak drivers.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 1:45 PM   #5

Before anyone jumps with the (valid) concern about removing a card while a file is being accessed, let me add something. By default, Windows disables write-behind cache to any media except hard disks. I have never changed this and verified that indeed this is so. Whenever I remove the memory card from the reader I make sure nothing is accessing the memory card: close any open folder from the memory card on Explorer and close any file that could be open in there. Even then, if there is a folder open when I remove the card, it immediately closes, which indicates that Windows recognized the removal of the card.

Only used the "Remove Hardware" icon when I actually need to take the card reader out, and then again, being USB this is not absolutely necessary.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote