Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:15 PM   #11

I bought my T2i primarily for photography, but I use it for video as well. It certainly is more difficult to use than my old point and shoot for video, but the output is so much better I'm happy with the trade-off.

The lack of autofocus while shooting video is a hassle. I can pre-focus, but if the object is moving I'm forced to manually focus the object in motion and well, I haven't mastered this just yet. On the other hand, my old P&S had relatively poor low-light performance.

One thing did catch me off guard with the T2i - my 'overtemp' alarm would trip at perhaps 30 minutes into my kid's school program. I started turning it off between scenes to give it a small chance to cool off, and it never did turn off automatically for temp reasons, but it seemed a real possibility. I don't videotape anything else for nearly that long, so it's an issue twice a year for me.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb538 View Post
I have just purchased a T2i and I am disappointed in the video. I had the T1i, and found that to be very easy. The main problem that I am experiencing with the T2I, the video is recorded in a quicktime.mov format. I am not getting sound, and when I try to edit the video, it will not play on Edius 5 software or some of the other programs I have. It does play on quicktime. The rebel T1i played on any most of the programs I have with no problem with sound. The Rebel T2i does not appear to be an improvement.
Not sure about the no sound issue but unless I'm hugely mistaken the T1i was also .mov format the same as the others in the lineup. I left my T1i (500D) back in the UK so can't check it out for sure at the moment but don't recall it being any different to SX1, 7D or 5DmkII.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:44 PM   #13

Video can get dropped if using the wrong codec. Studio 11 takes my video directly at standard and 720p, but does not accept the 1080p without first converting in WinFF.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:10 AM   #14

I have a T2i with a transcend 32gb class 10 card and when recording video, the 640/480 mode is fine. When capturing the HD1280/720, the video is fine, however, the audio is muddled. When capturing at the highest level HD1920/1080, the video runs for less than a minute and then stops with no audio. I am using a sd card recommended by Canon that will not capture HD video. If anyone is capturing the highest quality video, what card/how are they doing it.
kenb538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:54 PM   #15

I have no trouble with HD video and audio. I use a class 6 Sandisk 16g card. Transcend is cheap to buy, but the performance and longevity is sub-standard in my opinion. I would not be surprised if this is the cause of your trouble.