Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Is the Video on the T2i really bad?

I found a review on Best Buy.

The guy says that the video quality on the T2i is horrible.. that he couldn't even get anything decent out of it.

Read it here:
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/profiles/...12/profile.htm

So.. is it true? I thought the quality was supposed to be great. I mean, it's 1080p for crying out loud.. how could it be less than decent in any way? People used to think 480i was great.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It's very good, so obviously he knows nothing or he is expecting the AF etc to be like using a compact camera of dedicated video camera. I don't have the T2i but have a T1i, 7D and 5DmkII and having shot video with all of them can confirm that no one should be unhappy. However shooting video is much harder than a normal video camera as the depth of field is shallower and the AF isn't really worth using for most things.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:13 PM   #3

The video on the T2i is very good. It just takes more work than when using a P&S or a video camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:17 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Check out Vimeo for video samples, if you register then many of them you can download rather than just watching the online full screen HD (which still works well).

Check this out to get you started http://vimeo.com/13734020

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
I found a review on Best Buy.

The guy says that the video quality on the T2i is horrible.. that he couldn't even get anything decent out of it.

Read it here:
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/profiles/...12/profile.htm

So.. is it true? I thought the quality was supposed to be great. I mean, it's 1080p for crying out loud.. how could it be less than decent in any way? People used to think 480i was great.
I read the review you linked to. he didn't say it was horrible at all. he said "It's nothing like a video camera in any way, and it's very difficult to create anything that looks even close to good".

I think his review was fair. Don't be buying a dslr for the video. you'll be very sorry. get a cheap flip or something.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I read the review you linked to. he didn't say it was horrible at all. he said "It's nothing like a video camera in any way, and it's very difficult to create anything that looks even close to good".

I think his review was fair. Don't be buying a dslr for the video. you'll be very sorry. get a cheap flip or something.
No, he makes it very clear that he thinks the video is very bad. Otherwise, he wouldn't give it a 1-star rating.

Why shouldn't I be buying a dSLR for video? That's precisely what I am doing.

How is the 1080p-T2i going to be worse than a 720p flip?

This is all ridiculous. Yes, the AF sucks in comparison, but the sensor is larger and the quality should be great.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:49 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Buying a DSLR expressly for the video only makes sense if you are already an experienced videographer looking to get effects that were only available on very expensive equipment until recently.

If you are not an experienced videographer/movie camera operator then most DSLRs are very difficult to use. Proceed with extreme caution. You might produce complete rubbish and blame the equipment (like the reviewer) rather than your own lack of skill.

DSLRs have enormous creative potential when it comes to video, but the ergonomics are sub-optimal to say the least and the learning curve is huge. A decent video camera is MUCH easier for an amateur to use.

If DSLR-style video is your prime purpose have a close look at the Panasonic GH1 or perhaps the new Sony NEX video camera before making your decision.

This is what a fully kitted-out DSLR looks like when being used for video recording.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

Last edited by peripatetic; Aug 1, 2010 at 3:52 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
The video quality from the T2i and other Canon DSLRs is
anything but horrible. As others have already pointed out,
shooting video with a DSLR can be difficult due to the
shallow DOF and the lack of an effective autofocus system.
The main AF sensor is blind during video shooting because
the mirror is flipped up.

This review was recorded using the T2i/500D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpxqF5YuNQc

This one from Canon's own propaganda dept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7l-Z4NF70
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:34 AM   #9

T2i/550D videos are very good, but there is a problem:
You get MOIREEs! - f.e. in roofs etc. But you can live with it.

Nice: 2.7x loupe for €50

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:48 PM   #10

I have just purchased a T2i and I am disappointed in the video. I had the T1i, and found that to be very easy. The main problem that I am experiencing with the T2I, the video is recorded in a quicktime.mov format. I am not getting sound, and when I try to edit the video, it will not play on Edius 5 software or some of the other programs I have. It does play on quicktime. The rebel T1i played on any most of the programs I have with no problem with sound. The Rebel T2i does not appear to be an improvement.
kenb538 is offline   Reply With Quote