Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:47 PM   #1

Default POTD Image Size Submission

Hello all,

Haven't been active for some years now on Steve's and noticed some great changes, fabulous.

Actually I would like to ask a question please in regards to the POTD contest image size, I know on Steve's old forum the size was no larger than 640 but after looking at some contest winners image's, I sense the size has changed, can be larger.

I have ssearched for sometime now for my answer in forums and contest rules but see no mention of allowed image size.

Can someone please tell me what the allowable image size is ?

Thank you very much.

Diddly Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:45 PM   #2
Administrator

The forums do have some size limitations if you don't want the forums software modifying your images. Basically, you need to keep the dimensions to 1024 pixels or less on the longest side, and the maximum file size down to 253.9KB or smaller. Otherwise, the forums will downsize the photos and recompress them (which can result in a lower image quality). See my comments in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659

But, for POTD submissions, those limitations do not apply and they're handled differently (no aggresive resizing, only resizing to make sure it fits the POTD page being viewed). In other words, don't worry about the size image you submit for POTD, as if it's selected, we'll make sure it's resized so that it exhibits good quality.

Now, you will see a crop box when you upload an image for POTD. But, the crop box you see when you submit a photo is only designed to let you decide how it will show up in the upper right hand corner the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com if it's selected for Photo of the Day (since the space allocated for it on the main page doesn't allow for much flexibility as far as aspect ratios (the ratio of width to height).

If it's selected and someone clicks on the cropped version on the main page (using the crop you select when you submit the image), it takes you to Steve's POTD page showing an uncropped version with the original aspect ratio.

In other words, if you prefer a different aspect ratio, don't worry about it. The site will resize it to fit the POTD page using the original aspect ratio. So, just use a crop that shows most of the interesting parts of the image, and that's what you'll see on the main page if it's selected, without impacting how it will appear on the POTD page if someone clicks on that image (since they'll see the uncropped version on the POTD page after they click on it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:48 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Haven't been active for some years now on Steve's and noticed some great changes, fabulous.
We'll look forward to seeing you post more often if you get a chance, and please do submit some photos to the POTD contest. Again, don't worry about the image sizes for POTD. You only need to worry about that kind of thing when attaching images to forum posts.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:56 PM   #4

Hi JimC,

I appreciate all the info, you/it was complete, precise and without a doubt answered my question, in fact any other's I might have in regard to contest, now I can submit without any further ado.

very,very much.
Diddly Doo is offline   Reply With Quote