Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Deleting Files Question

Need some help on this issue. I've been told the best way to clear CF or SM is to unload pics to a CD/hard drive and then reformatted the CF or SM instead of "deleting all". Is this the best method? Thanks for any replies.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:17 PM   #2

I just delete mine after transferring to the hard drive. This is not to say it's the best way, but rather just the way I do it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3

Yes, the best way is to:
1) Copy the files to your hard disk. Use whatever meets your needs. I have a Canon camera, so I use Canon's ZoomBrowser EX that came with it.

2) If your very careful (and slightly paranoid), you make sure the sure the pictures transfered correctly. I don't do this... but I probably should. It's not often that there is a problem, but it does happen.

3) Put the CF card back into your camera and format the card there.

There are a variety of benefits for doing this. All of them have been covered at a variety of times on the "Memory Cards and Readers" section of this forum. So if you don't mind, I won't waste my time repeating them here when you can search for them and find the details yourself.

I would recommend against deleting the pictures from your computer. I would also recommend against delete all from within the camera (if you camera has that) but it isn't as (potentially) bad as deleting from the computer.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 5:05 PM   #4
lg

The only exception I can think of is that when using the Windows XP Home Edition picture transfer wizard, I have had no problems checking the "Delete All after successful transfer" box.

Moving the files as opposed to Copying them will most assuredly cause you grief! Formatting the card in the card reader may render it unuseable in the camera, so be warned!

eric s' advice is your best bet!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 5:44 PM   #5

The problem isn't that you don't have a problem, it's a question about what it does.

Reformatting in the camera rebuilds the fat table. Doing it from windows doesn't do this. Please, please, go do the search in the memory card forum. This topic has been thoroughly discussed there and it's a waste to reproduce it here.

Eric
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:38 AM   #6

I always wipe the card clean after transferring while the card is still in the reader without a problem. This is a SD card, maybe card type matters. Never needed to format the card.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:43 AM   #7

Once I have saved the files to my local system, I reformat the card.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:02 PM   #8
Administrator

I normally do the same thing as Phil. Once I've transferred my photos to my PC, I reformat the Memory Card in the camera.

From my perspective, this is just as fast as deleting the photos; and also insures that you are starting out with a fresh FAT (file allocation table) on the Memory Card.

An added benefit, is that the format operation should automatically map out any bad areas on the Memory Card, should any of the Memory Cells have failed (again, reducing the possibility of any problems with corruption).

On the "other side of the coin", I've known people that have never formatted their memory cards, and they are working fine. I've been using computers for a long time, and so reformatting media that I want to reuse (whether it's a floppy disk, or a solid state flash memory card), has become force of habit.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:39 PM   #9

JimC

In every camera I know about (not many) reformatting in the camera is a high level format, not a low level format. So it won't remap any new bad sectors.

That is one of the reasons why it is so fast to reformat from within the camera.

It will preserve the bad sector map, though.

NNDman & others

Please, please, please... just go to this thread and read it.
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15443

I even went and found it for you. It covers this topic in more detail that has been discussed here. If you have more to add, add it to that topic. Keep it the good source of info. Info is harder to find when it's scattered around.

Eric
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:04 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote